Tank Journal Archive

zerosix

May 30, 2013
02-09-13 Update!
Hey all, Been a while since i've updated this. A fair bit has changed in my little nano!

My current inhabitants are:
1 Occy Clown
1 Wild-caught Percula Clown
1 Firefin Goby
1 Torchus Snail
2 Nass Snails
1 Cerith Snail
1 Purple Tip Torch Coral
1 Hammer Coral
and 1 Toxic Green coral in the bottom left of the pic that i'd love some help identifying.

Rest assured that it's all been added slowly over the last couple of months.

As you can see there seems to be a fair bit of hard green algae on the front of the glass. My magnet cleaner isn't strong enough to get rid of it, so i've ordered another online and hopefully it does the job. Any other suggestions will be great!

Everything seems to be going great in this tank so far! No issues to speak of besides the green algae, which is strange because its not anywhere else on the glass, only the front. Also have a LOT of coraline algae growth which is great!
Unfortunately my Firefin spends a lot of his time in his hole in the rocks which is at the back of the tank so I couldn't get a pic, you can see one of my Nas snails at the top of the water in the top right of the tank.

Anyways, would love to hear what you guys think so far!

Cheers.
02-08-13.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Agree with @daveH on the ID ;)

The hard green algae is probably a calcareous based algae, similar to coralline. If you clean the glass regularly you will keep it at bay with your glass cleaner but, once it gets established no glass cleaner will move it easily. You are better off removing it with a razor blade - careful you don't pick up some sand and scratch the glass.

It is a little unusual for a Nassarius snail to be climbing to the top of the glass - are you feeding them as they may not be getting enough food from other sources. Pushing a piece of prawn etc into the sand will normally get them going.

My firefish disappeared for 3 months :eek until it finally reappeared one day - they can sometimes take a while to get accustomed to your tank.

Cheers

zerosix

May 30, 2013
Thanks for the replies guys!

@daveH - Thanks for the ID! The coral is normally bigger, over much more of the rock and the sand, I added in the 2 nas snails soon before taking the photo and I think I disturbed it a bit. Same with the Hammer, normally much larger.

@MagicJ - As mentioned before, they Nas snails only got added about an hour before that photo was taken. 1 buried straight into the sand, which to be honest was pretty cool to see for the first time, and the other just was doing laps around the tank, went up on the glass a few times. Their speed astounds me. Just getting used to things I guess. Later last night they were both in the sand, then a while after the lights were off and I was going to bed they were both out and about on the sand.
The Firefin has only been in for a little over a week, probably just still getting used to his new home. As for the algae on the glass, it just slowly appeared, I have always cleaned the once a week or so, and it just slowly started in one spot and just started spreading.. My magnet cleaner is a bit of a cheapy, though, so probably wasnt getting everything off it was meant to, cleans off the whiteish and brown stuff no issue. I'll give my new one a go, and if not i'll buy one of the razor blade ones.

Any suggestions on what I should add in next?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Nice looking scape Chris! My firefish stays hidden most of the day but comes out for an afternoon feed, doesn't seem to be scared of anything just likes his own home to chill out in :-)

zerosix

May 30, 2013
Unfortunately the Firefish was died a few nights ago :( couldn't see any reason, when he was out, he was active and eating. My friend who I got it off told me that 4 of the 5 that he had ordered (1 of which I got) had died. Shame really :(

Any suggestions from anyone on what I should add next?