Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
1 Month - Quick Vid

Hope there isn't a reflection as I didn't have a shirt on ... Haha.

COMMENTARY
New clown
Turbarina doing well but still has some hair algae.
Acans were damaged in the old tank, couple recovering the other not so much.
This area of bare bottom is the price I pay for that flow ...
Black coral goby actually out and about for a change.
Chalices, the bottom one seems unhappy to have the other close by, always has its sweepers out.
Final scene is the depth I am trying to create. Not sure it's there yet.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Looks like there is some serious flow there!
Yeah that's 30%. Have the pulse set fast so the wave doesn't get going too much.

Actually wondering if the hammers are disliking the flow, most don't look happy and one is receding a lot.

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
That's some serious surface turbulence. :)

How are you dealing with hair algae? I've just had some turn up again.

Is that the same clam your wife bought you from Oceanarium?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
That's some serious surface turbulence. :)

How are you dealing with hair algae? I've just had some turn up again.

Is that the same clam your wife bought you from Oceanarium?
I've been trying hydrogen peroxide via a syringe and just slowly squirting over the algae, but it doesn't seem to be doing enough. So although I had confidently glued the turbarina down, I am thinking of giving it some peroxide soaks. The hair algae looks like it could take over so I want to take proper action.

Yep that's the same @Oceanarium clam. It has been super hardy and grown a lot since I got it, still a gorgeous blue colour too.

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
I've been trying hydrogen peroxide via a syringe and just slowly squirting over the algae, but it doesn't seem to be doing enough. So although I had confidently glued the turbarina down, I am thinking of giving it some peroxide soaks. The hair algae looks like it could take over so I want to take proper action.

Yep that's the same @Oceanarium clam. It has been super hardy and grown a lot since I got it, still a gorgeous blue colour too.
I've got it on a rock full of christmas tree worms, don't think I'd be game to soak it. Do you dilute it for the soak? I'm assuming you're using the supermarket stuff?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I've got it on a rock full of christmas tree worms, don't think I'd be game to soak it. Do you dilute it for the soak? I'm assuming you're using the supermarket stuff?
Yeah 3%. When I have done it in the past with zoas I diluted it 50:50 with saltwater, just to be sure I wasn't going to damage them. Though I forget how hardy zoas are, I left some in there for a couple of hours by mistake and they were fine the next day, and algae free!

With what I assume is a more sensitive coral, I might even try diluting further than that, say 20:80 just to see how it goes.

E

ezza

I do love the motion in your ocean. But I was disappointed not to see you in your noodles. ;)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I am pro-Hydrogen peroxide but I wouldnt put it anywhere near the worms, invertebrates are extremely sensitive to it. You'd be better to use a product like Phosphate RX & manual removal in this particular case:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I am pro-Hydrogen peroxide but I wouldnt put it anywhere near the worms, invertebrates are extremely sensitive to it. You'd be better to use a product like Phosphate RX & manual removal in this particular case:

Hmm interesting. I only have a few wisps of the stuff on this one coral, but as much as I remove it, it doesn't disappear completely. I might try piling the snails on top of it, as I never see them up there :D

Ian3145

Mar 15, 2014
Dumbalk, Sth Gippsland
We probably should move this to another thread instead of hijacking yours Pete.On the other hand it keeps the thread alive, I never know which way to swing (does not refer to sexual or appendage orientation). What say you?

@Agent M , thanks for the info. The lack of info on the manufacturers site bothers me a bit, ie how is it filtered out? If it binds and floats, all very well but if it binds and sinks, not so easy to remove, etc. Have you tried it at all?

Anyway as it happens I just bough a little Phosban 150 reactor and some Phosban which I'll be setting up tomorrow. I'll also be removing infected pieces from the tank to do some manual removal tomorrow. I might try some careful spot treatment with peroxide on the xmas tree rock and dip the other effected coral. I hate GHA with a passion.:banghead

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
It's not the product and its lack of information (which they deliberately withhold) that I trust, its Melev. I've been following his advice for coming up to a decade and he's never led me wrong. He's been using this product for 10 years already & has not seen any ill effects which is good enough for me - and this is a guy who has a lot to lose and cares about the tiniest crustacean in his tank. It is skimmed out or filtered out with a filter sock, however I'm not sure if it floats or sinks, perhaps thats a question for him.

I have only just started using it however I don't have a phosphate or algae issue anymore so can't comment yet. I just find it more convenient than trying to find a filter media I want to use.

Last edited:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
We probably should move this to another thread instead of hijacking yours Pete.On the other hand it keeps the thread alive, I never know which way to swing (does not refer to sexual or appendage orientation). What say you?
Very happy to keep it here ;)