Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
1 Month Since Frags Arrived Update.
I woke up this morning to remember I put two new fish into quarantine last night. After spending an hour and a half at the LFS watching a trio of Bangaii cardinals interact I decided on two. Who knows if they are a pair, time will tell as I left the LFS very confused.

Finally got around to putting in the second Maxspect gyre. After having two in the tank for ages, I could not get the flow right, then it occurred to me to use them as thier intended purpose. I now have the gyre working great , a push pull alternating gyre that changes direction every 10 mins.

As for the tank , the first water change took place exactly a month after the frags went in.
I've put the frags through so much from the time they were packed, going from NSW to ASW , new bases to being glued down. I managed to keep my hands out the tank for two weeks as I was starting to tinker too much. Signs of too much tinkering is overshooting my target iodine level and dosing nitrates and phosphates.

During the first two weeks the frags paled out , started my experimental dosing Potassium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate. The frags are no longer looking the pale colour I've had in the past.

To wrap it up , the colours have improved heaps since settling into the tank, a lot of encrusting has taken place so far and all that's left to say is I can't wait to see what the next month brings to this tank.
image.jpeg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
They are looking pretty happy. Can you share your waters parameters?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
They are looking pretty happy. Can you share your waters parameters?
Certainly :)
Kh- very stable 7.0 measured every 2 days
Ca- not measured
Potassium 390
Iodide 0.09 (0.03 too high) not dosing
Magnesium 1600 (way over recommended) heavy handed on it 4 months ago
Nitrate 0
Phos 0
Dosing 1ml nitrate and 1ml phos every 3 day this gets dealt with by the Siporax and does not reach testable level.
1ml supposed to raise nitrate to 0.05
1ml supposed to raise phos to 0.01

1ml Biggle Juice daily

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Soe good quality looking frags you have there.
Good luck identifying the bangaii's. The only way I could tell is the one that holds the eggs/frys is the male.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Soe good quality looking frags you have there.
Good luck identifying the bangaii's. The only way I could tell is the one that holds the eggs/frys is the male.
Cheers mate. I looked into the vent method as mentioned at MBI however mine were not fed upto thier gills so could not say with confidence.
They are beautiful fish , my wife was not happy with them as she thinks they have the same personality as Discus.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Looking good Nils - I am trying to imagine what this tank will look like when all of these frags grow up :eek

They are beautiful fish , my wife was not happy with them as she thinks they have the same personality as Discus.
Probably an accurate description, but still beautiful in their own way :)

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
Looks fantastic. Going to look incredible when it grows out.

How do you get the 2 gyres to change direction simultaneously? Are they hooked up to a controller?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Looking good Nils - I am trying to imagine what this tank will look like when all of these frags grow up :eek

Probably an accurate description, but still beautiful in their own way :)
Cheers Shane, I've got a good feeling about this tank this time, the goal is to revisit this post in two years time to show you what it looks like.
As for the cardinals, they better move quick when the fireball meets them upon introduction.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney

How do you get the 2 gyres to change direction simultaneously? Are they hooked up to a controller?
Cheers Tom.
I put the left hand gyre on forward at ten mins on reverse gyre for ten mins , as the time came for the left hand gyre to reverse I put the right hand gyre on forward for ten mins.
They were sincronised nicely yesterday, I have a feeling that the right hand side clock controller is running quicker by two seconds/hr
I'll let you know how they go later today.

E

ezza

I woke up this morning to remember I put two new fish into quarantine last night. After spending an hour and a half at the LFS watching a trio of Bangaii cardinals interact I decided on two. Who knows if they are a pair, time will tell as I left the LFS very confused.

Finally got around to putting in the second Maxspect gyre. After having two in the tank for ages, I could not get the flow right, then it occurred to me to use them as thier intended purpose. I now have the gyre working great , a push pull alternating gyre that changes direction every 10 mins.

As for the tank , the first water change took place exactly a month after the frags went in.
I've put the frags through so much from the time they were packed, going from NSW to ASW , new bases to being glued down. I managed to keep my hands out the tank for two weeks as I was starting to tinker too much. Signs of too much tinkering is overshooting my target iodine level and dosing nitrates and phosphates.

During the first two weeks the frags paled out , started my experimental dosing Potassium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate. The frags are no longer looking the pale colour I've had in the past.

To wrap it up , the colours have improved heaps since settling into the tank, a lot of encrusting has taken place so far and all that's left to say is I can't wait to see what the next month brings to this tank. View attachment 54357
Your corals look astonishingly vibrant! Where do you source your potassium from? I have a couple of pale SPS corals and it sounds like an idea to try potassium. I wish I could live in one of your aquariums as a fish @slin1977 , i think I would be very happy.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney

Ok- moved the gyres onto 2 min as the clocks on the timers are not keeping time .

Last edited:

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Funny, we're the opposite. The wife really wants some but I think they are boring, even if pretty!
My seven year old niece flew up from Melbourne today . She confirmed about the Bangaii that it's a boring fish that does nothing.
I put them in the display last night as I could not stand watching the sulking in the qt tank.

Fireball could not give a fuck about the Bangaii - there's something I never saw coming.

Might push the boring o meter a bit further and get some fire gobies next.
Also would like a watchman goby maybe?