Tank Journal Archive

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
10 Days In...
10 days in with the new RedSea Reefer 525XL and I am in love. As someone who is new to saltwater keeping I must say, I have already made some costly mistakes but for me, the best thing that I personally have spent my money on is this tank. It is well worth the money and does not disappoint at all.

I changed the lights on the weekend and I must say that the Hydra 52HD' are magic. Such a massive difference between the Zetlight and this. So sad that I spent all that money on that umit but hey that's what you get when you listen to a salesman! I have put the zelight to good use though and are now sitting on top of my 220g freshwater Frontosa tank.

I'm also loving the rockscape. Plenty of places for fish to hide and heapsof shelves to place my coral on. Another big change from the original set up where the rocks were literally thrown in without thought by the LFS.

Looks like I will also be changing the wavemakers, look too big in the tank so am thinking Maxspect Gyre will be replacing these in the future.

Fortunately my water parameters are still stable after tearing down the old tank and transferring to this tank so everything is doing fine.

Now I must refrain myself from any visits to the LFS for the next few weeks!

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Pics or it didn't happen!

Just my 5c, but please consider getting a pair of gyres rather than one.
My first tank had one and I think a pair would have been much better.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
@Ben Daley, i haven't looked into them too much. The guy helping me with this tank told me about them and said 1 would be ok but did tell me to look at all the info on them.

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Tank's looking good - nice upgrade :)

@Ben Daley, i haven't looked into them too much. The guy helping me with this tank told me about them and said 1 would be ok but did tell me to look at all the info on them.
My old tank had a pair of Sicce Voyagers (from Coburg Aquarium :banghead) that were replaced with the gyre.
It was a worthwhile upgrade, but I'd get pockets of detritus accumulate where the flow was obstructed by rocks. I'm sure this would be fixed (depending on aquascape) by running a pair in an alternate gyre mode.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Tank's looking good - nice upgrade :)

My old tank had a pair of Sicce Voyagers (from Coburg Aquarium :banghead) that were replaced with the gyre.
It was a worthwhile upgrade, but I'd get pockets of detritus accumulate where the flow was obstructed by rocks. I'm sure this would be fixed (depending on aquascape) by running a pair in an alternate gyre mode.
Lol good ol Coburg , these bloody Sicce aren't cheap either. Was considering 1 xf130 but will look into this further.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Looking good. I would personally consider opening the scape up a little to allow some flow through it. I wish I opened mine up years again when I moved the tank but now it's a massive job I won't take on.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Looking good. I would personally consider opening the scape up a little to allow some flow through it. I wish I opened mine up years again when I moved the tank but now it's a massive job I won't take on.
Thanks for the advice, will look at more options in the scape although I must say the way he has positioned everything flow seems to be getting through all the books and crannies but will have a look at any dead spots to see what we can do.