Reef Discussion

Matman

Jul 13, 2011
Coffs Harbour
100% Reef Safe Amino Acid Supplement
I just bought some,does anyone else use it?When it says " Mix the required amount of AminoAcid Protein Supplement in a container, let stand for 1 hour then slowly add to the aquarium. What exactly do I mix it with?And I should turn off my skimmer?

Cheers Mat

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Hey matt, I bought some to today, going to give it a go when I get it, usually I just mix with tank water and broadcast feed, leaving skimmer and pumps on. But that's just because I don't like to turn them off, (of course having the skimmer on skims slot of it out tho)

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
First few weeks you definitely will be needing to turn your skimmer off, this will relax if your system is in a state where it can make use of Amino Acids adequately. I mix mine with RO/DI simply to prohibit tank-based bacteria consuming it and expiring before it enters the water. I find mixing it with a little bit of planktonic food also helps as it's less likely to cause massive overfoaming.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
As often as your system needs it :) I was dosing twice a day at one point, but only because I had a massive coral load and no nutrient load.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
DSC_0001feed aminio acid.jpg

within about 30 minutes of the first feed of amino acids (100% reef safes)
this is what my rhodactus did. seems to like it!

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I normally mix a 1L container of RO/DI with a scoop of AA's and mix really well. The 1L lasts me a week with daily dosing.

I keep the container refrigerated and give it a quick shake before use.

Have been using this for around 4 weeks and have seen some positive results :)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i haven't seen the same thing happen any more. seems they got used to it. no real increase in colouration etc so far we will see only been using it for a few weeks so far around 6-8?

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
I've been using a amino acid supplement for about 6 weeks..ive seen huge differences in my corals..particularly my euphyllia..my hammers and frogspawn expand about a 3rd more then they originally did..colour looks a lot better as well..my elegance looks fuller and just overall healthier..everything just looks in better shape..and I'm sure its not just in my head because friends have noticed the difference too lol..i wasn't expecting to see such great results in only 6 weeks..i supplement twice a week.

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
I havebeen using mine for a few months now and seems to be helping darken up the colours in some of my acro's. I mix the AA's with some Reef Roids and add during day lighting schedule.