Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
12 Days Post Spawn (2/5/14) - Egg Collection
Based on the design used by @Dr. Schell, I started building my egg tumbler last night - all the bits gathered together :)

I decided that if I was going to collect the eggs then tonight was the night - we are currently at 12 days post spawn - last time he made it to 16 days (before eating the eggs) but I was interested in documenting as much of the egg development/hatching as I could.

So, I changed the timer so the lights turned off at 7.00pm and left the tank for an hour or so in darkness - I had read that if you do this and then quickly turn the lights on full, the fish are temporarily blinded and you have a chance to catch them. Whilst I was somewhat dubious, it does actually work and I was able to catch him relatively easily.

Now, to get the eggs. From my reading, it seems that on most occasions the male will spit the eggs as soon as it is in the net - mine did not. One suggestion is to pick the male up gently by the tail and dip it in and out of the water and he will release the eggs - mine did not. Another suggestion is to gently pry open the mouth with something like a paper clip and dip the fish in the water - the backwash is meant to dislodge the eggs - that didn't work. After about 10 minutes I still hadn't managed to dislodge the eggs :banghead I continued these various methods and eventually a few eggs come to the front of his mouth and then he spat them all out - success :)

So, this is what we have - I count approximately 30

Similar to the clown fish fry, I am amazed at how soon in the egg development the eyes are pretty much fully formed.

I am pretty excited at the prospect of trying to get these through the next 3 weeks.

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
They are so cute!
Nice to see you using this design, is based on that used to incubate the eggs of mouth brooding chichlids. Ensure the eggs are suspended in the water column and not touching anything. Lighting will not cause any issue in my experience. Good luck.
Thanks Chris - I think I have a slight design fault which will need fixing tomorrow. I used a 50 micron material over the foam at the bottom but I think it is restricting the water flow too much and I can't get the egg mass very far off the bottom of the tumbler. I will have to see if my wife has any old stockings that I can 'borrow' ;)
the stocking would work very well, as it will not cause too much restriction to flow, is a synthetic material so will not support fungal growth, and will act as to reduce mechanical damage to the eggs should they touch/bounce off it.