Tank Journal Archive

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Ever since the tunze incident it's got a funny colour to it. You can see in the pic the colour difference is real, not just the photo. I don't know wether its because it was perched so high up closer to the light? Half probably didn't get direct light. It will be interesting to see if it changes now it back near the bottom even though only half is still under the light.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I was wondering where he had gone.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360243608.355280.jpg

I dropped him back in the dt after a few days but he decided the "algae is better on the other side"

I'd rescaped the right side of the tank 3 times in one week trying to get it right (its all good now) and didn't see him 8-)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
just for my own reference mostly I started dosing lanth today just to strip the phos out a little quicker.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
What product are you using? How much of it? I might look in to this to keep the phos down while my tank cycles.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
aahhmm the lanth stuff lol @Salty he will know lol

We were going to start with 1ml once a day then thought maybe .5 would be best so I went .7ml :) I meant to test the pohos before i put it in but forgot. My phos has been hovering around .5 so i'll guess it was at that. I'll test tomorrow then on wed and again on friday or sat to see whats goin on.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Saltys used it, as well as Ernie, to good effect. Apparently all public aquariums use it as its the cheapest to use. Once the phos is down i'll slowly drop it off and let the zeo take over.

It is the gentler of the two types.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Quick update, one week on from starting on the lanth and my phos has gone from .5ish down to ........ .26 when I tested it yesterday anyway. Since then I have added todays dose and done a 50lt water change so id expect its siting even better!

My mandarin has been eating frozen mysis and spriulina brine I just have to get him on some pellets which will be the tricky part I think i'll need the really small nls..... though atm he has quite a few white fungus marks on him which could well be disaster for the whole tank! He has been in there for 2 maybe 3 weeks now and its only just popped up today. My clowns used to get what looks to be the exact same thing but theres was from trying to host a hammer it was constantly stinging them. He is still very active and scoffing down the frozen and on the hunt till the lights go out so he seems fine. Fingers crossed he has been swimming through sh!te he shouldnt be :stop

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Yes the eat well and don't have to many issues. One is looking fairly lean but I have watched the moron fish and his eating isn't as consistent as the others. They are dispars to btw. You could also look at lyretails also as they are supposed to be hardy.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
yeah i was looking at lyretails before still doingmy research on them, thinking of getting 5 of them and having a species tank, thanks for the info :)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Yup there is a small colony in the middle right too. The whole rim was lined with them but its a fast grower. The zoa was on the edge when I brought it a few months back and you can see how much new growth is behind it. It has grown around the zoa you can just see underneath it its nearly joined. I'll get a lights out pic there is a perfect little circle for the zoa to close up into.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Awesome tank mate!! Well done
Cheers its getting there :)

After dosing the lanth for a bit my phos is now sitting around .08 as of yesterday so maybe a touch lower today. My montis are the only things that have suffered, they are not dead.... but not happy :rolleyes I was still dosing the zeo start but after some advise from @vpreef that came from @thepubenator I cut that out for now. Once I have a zeo reactor i'll be switching to the zeo method of things.

Superman and reverse.... you can also see the little jewel anemones in the bottom right of the pic (saw a pic in coral mag about little jewel nem as they called them so im just going with that lol) I thought i had lost them but with lower phos reading out they popped!

newys 3 025 (Large).jpg

I can say without doubt the tank is looking so much better now! Even the lps has coloured up enormously. I was fairly blase about phos which was the wrong attitude to have I guess :banghead

A few Zoas and stuff.....

newys 2 012.jpg

newys 3 007.jpg

newys 2 008.jpg

newys 2 025.jpg

newys 2 011.jpg

and finally some fish....

newys 3 020.jpg

newys 3 013.jpg

Thanks for reading :)