Tank Journal Archive

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
130d
OK, I figured since I'm gonna hang around here a little while, might as well start a journal. I got the 130D for a steal, $200 for the tank, 55kgs of live rock, a mated pair of Perculas, 7, yes, 7 GBTAs, 2 Peppermint shrimp a trumpet coral and some hermit crabs. It was full of hair algae and generally neglected, we pulled 3 kgs of hair algae out of the damn thing . So here are a few pics of M's tank.

Bonnie and Clyde
ai.imgur.com_cdfkpDP.jpg

Clark W Griswold

ai.imgur.com_DSG7Guj.jpg

Buddha

ai.imgur.com_3qBfdic.jpg

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
welcome aboard, great pickup for a 130D. Is this your 1st tank ?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
welcome aboard, great pickup for a 130D. Is this your 1st tank ?
I've been doing reef tanks since 1986 and saltwater fish off and on since 1974. I've had tanks from 40l up to 900l. M and I had a 8x2x2 not long after we met. She stood in the tank and placed the base rock, lol.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Sorry about the dirty glass, she was excited and wanted pics to share. They were shot not long after we set the tank up. I will be updating the progress. We're gonna switch her 130D over to a 2ft cube in the next week or 2. I didn't change the sand out and it bit me in the ass, now it's leaching phosphates back into the system. Pro tip folks, ALWAYS change the substrate out if you buy a used tank!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Sorry about the dirty glass, she was excited and wanted pics to share. They were shot not long after we set the tank up. I will be updating the progress. We're gonna switch her 130D over to a 2ft cube in the next week or 2. I didn't change the sand out and it bit me in the ass, now it's leaching phosphates back into the system. Pro tip folks, ALWAYS change the substrate out if you buy a used tank!
i just used phosphate binder in small amounts for about 3 months to remove the bound phos. just need a decent skimmer

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
i just used phosphate binder in small amounts for about 3 months to remove the bound phos. just need a decent skimmer
If you'd have seen the hair algae in that tank You would have thrown all the rock and substrate away, lol. In places it was almost 10cm long.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
If you'd have seen the hair algae in that tank You would have thrown all the rock and substrate away, lol. In places it was almost 10cm long.
all normal in a cycle :) just takes time and manual removal to get it back in line. i remember @NiCd used some form of pure acid on his with great result

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
all normal in a cycle :) just takes time and manual removal to get it back in line. i remember @NiCd used some form of pure acid on his with great result
That poor tank was brutally neglected when we got it...it looked like a swamp! It was pretty good right after we got it home and set back up (we picked a LOT of algae that day), but reused the original owner's sand and rock, and it pretty much all came back.

I actually enjoy picking the algae though (I find it soothing, lol) even though I don't like the algae in there. For a while, that was my Saturday evening zen meditation....turn off the wave pump and pick algae for 20 minutes. :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Well, time to say goodbye to this one, you were a great tank, but tomorrow you go to your new home. Lots of firsts with you old friend, first GBTA reproduction, first clownfish spawning, first LED upgrade and our first all in one tank.