Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
15 Days Post Spawn - A Small Problem With The Tumbler
After no problems yesterday, I ran into a small one today which I should have foreseen.

I have a piece of stocking stretched across the bottom sponge to prevent any predators getting into the eggs (unlikely given the tumbler is suspended in the water) but also to provide a smoother and softer surface if the eggs happen to land on it.

This has effectively been acting as a filter as the water is drawn through it and it has gradually been getting clogged resulting in a reduced water flow. This morning the eggs were not tumbling as there was not enough water going through the bottle to keep them suspended. Unfortunately, any fixes had to wait until I came home from work tonight.

The eggs still looked fine tonight however when I removed them from the bottle to clean the filter I noticed that two of them had separated from the egg mass.

I cleaned everything and returned the eggs to the bottle - the problem was that the two single eggs had a greater buoyancy than the main egg mass and they were sucked into the top filter pad :(

Whilst the DIY option works fine, it takes regular adjustment of the air flow to ensure the eggs stay suspended - unfortunately, I am not at home all day to do that regular adjustment.

I might have a look into an alternative for the future.

Here are tonight's photo's of the eggs

Banggai-Eggs-7.jpg

Banggai-Eggs-6.jpg

Thanks for looking :)