Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
2 Heaters Not Working?
What's the likelihood of this: 2 heaters (Eheim & Orca), both don't work and you have to bang them softly on the glass before the light indicator turn on. When it's on, it will stay one for perhaps approx. 2 mins then lights turn off BUT after observation, it doesn't seem the light ever turn on by itself unless you knock them a bit.

Are they really broken?

Am prepared to buy a new one, if need to, as I am about to leave for overseas tomorrow.

Having 2 heaters with same issue makes me think that it's fairly common issue?

Eheim was 2nd hand and i think i have it for approx. 2.5 years and Orca is Orca, cheapo brand that I use to hear my weekly WC bucket, so they maybe really broken but just need to confirm if anyone else ever had the same experience.

Water feels tad cold but then it maybe just my feeling as I don't see that light indicator.

Am about to purchase a new battery for my digital temperature today just to be sure of.

Am leaning towards buying a new one unless anyone here can chime in that they *maybe* not broken.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
I would be very inclined to replace them.

Especially if the eheim heater you've had for 2.5 years is second hand.

With heaters I will ALWAYS stay on the safe side. You a lucky one. Sometimes as they get old they just won't work, other times all they'll do it work.... And work and work and next minute you tank is 30°C plus!

I think a new heater should be on the cards especially if you're off for an extended visit.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Is it possible that during summer time, heater is probably okay and i was just being paranoid that the lights doesn't turn on ... I don't know ..

That was my colleague's thought.

During WC early in the morning summer time, is your heater light indicator ON the moment you plug it to the power?

My thought is it will but I could be wrong.

The water is sourced from tap via RODI filter and I store it yesterday in a 25L bucket ...

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
During WC early in the morning summer time, is your heater light indicator ON the moment you plug it to the power?
That would depend on the temperature of the water :confused:

All of the cheaper heaters rely on a bimetal strip to move the electrical contacts - over time these contacts tend to stick together which can result in the behaviour you are now seeing. You can, carefully, remove the heater from the glass enclosure and clean the contacts with a file.

However, for most people it is probably easier to just buy a new heater.

As some added protection, some people use a separate temperature controller for their heaters - @Sam Parker can fill you in on the details.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Can you verify the water temperature with a thermometer?
I would also recommend something like an STC 1000 to control your temperature. It's so cheap that it is almost a must have.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
REPLACE THE HEATERS!!!

Ok, sorry for capitals but that sounds sketchy as f*ck. New heaters I would say are a must. External thermostat is added insurance and offers a level of stability and control that the heaters alone can't deliver. They are certainly not required and can be added later on so yell out if you are interested.

I also have a short supply of titanium heaters that require the thermostat to work (they have no internal thermostat). They are very efficient and bloody small (for a 300w heater). I can do one or two cheap with the STC-1000 thermostat if your keen :)

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I also have a short supply of titanium heaters that require the thermostat to work (they have no internal thermostat). They are very efficient and bloody small (for a 300w heater). I can do one or two cheap with the STC-1000 thermostat if your keen :)
I need to leave tomorrow though @Sam Parker ! :(

REPLACE THE HEATERS!!!
I shall do, for a piece of mind. Right .. STC-1000 is cheap .. do you just put the probe in and turn on the thingy? Something to invest .. good to know .. thanks @Buddy @Sam Parker !

For today, should I just do Eheim? Do those digital heaters (Aquamanta i recall) work well?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I agree :)

All of the cheaper heaters rely on a bimetal strip to move the electrical contacts - over time these contacts tend to stick together which can result in the behaviour you are now seeing. You can, carefully, remove the heater from the glass enclosure and clean the contacts with a file.
@MagicJ I assume you have similar problem with your heater in the past? where you need to knock / bang it for the lights to turn on (which means the heater to turn on)?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015

However, for most people it is probably easier to just buy a new heater.

As some added protection, some people use a separate temperature controller for their heaters - @Sam Parker can fill you in on the details.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'd love to see a post describing how to remove the glass enclosure. I have heaters with condensation in them and would like to take the closures off and dry the heaters properly.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'd love to see a post describing how to remove the glass enclosure. I have heaters with condensation in them and would like to take the closures off and dry the heaters properly.
My Eheim heater also have condensation in them ... perhaps the root cause of the issue?

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
As soon as i see condensation I would be looking at replacing them! I'd be too scared.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Well, in both the contacts still look like new. If I could see rust on the contacts then I would be concerned.

I think there could be a real disaster if the condensation was so bad that a drop fell from the thermostat section onto the heating section whilst the heater was heating. But actually, I'm not sure if this would be as bad as it sounds? Would it crack the glass? Is the glass that hot? It is pyrex after all.

I am using neither heater atm by the way.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
i am not sure it would crack the glass. The glass would have to be very hot, like very hot - by at which your tank would be fried!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If there's condensation in there, change them NOW! I replace heaters at the 3 year mark and the old ones get relegated to spare duty unless there's condensation in them. You're just asking for one to explode and kill your tank and possibly you.