Reef Discussion

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
2 Little fish Npx Bioplastics Vs Rowaphos And Vodka Dosing
Hi all, i currently have had great success with red sea no3po4 and rowaphos (in reactor) however am looking at NPX bio plastics.I know @Dr. Schell it uses it with great results. My concern is that my nitrate is 0.00 and phos is 0.02. Most people who start using NXP have higher nitrates and phos than me. Could a sudden change crash my system?

Last edited:

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Just start off with a small amount and work up. All your doing is replacing one carbon source for another I guess.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
i should be fine with bio pellets there isn't a real difference to any other carbon dose. except the bacteria are in your reactor and not on everything in your tank and reduces some of the risks with carbon dosing. when u switch to bio pellets you should slowly reduce your current carbon dosing and slowly add your bio pellets. word of advice dont use a TLF reactor i now a lot of people use them and they work good for the first 2 months but when u get a lot of bateria on your pellets, the flow u can get out of it just don't cut it and they clump and cause problems from my experience. imo id go a jns bio pellet 2 reactor or the 1 @Sarg got.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
i should be fine with bio pellets there isn't a real difference to any other carbon dose. except the bacteria are in your reactor and not on everything in your tank and reduces some of the risks with carbon dosing. when u switch to bio pellets you should slowly reduce your current carbon dosing and slowly add your bio pellets. word of advice dont use a TLF reactor i now a lot of people use them and they work good for the first 2 months but when u get a lot of bateria on your pellets, the flow u can get out of it just don't cut it and they clump and cause problems from my experience. imo i.d go a jns bio pellet 2 reactor or the 1 @Sarg got.
interesting. @Dr. Schell has used one for a long time. I've tagged him incase he has any contributions. I know when using TLF reactor for biopellets you need to change the sponge filter to the spastic gauze. At the end of the day I'm not buying a new reactor lol

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
I live by the motto, "If it's not broken don't fix it!". Apart from the cost factor why would you change?
Its not really cost factor but more so that when rowaphos needs changing my phos has already gone up then i change it and i goes down. This upsets my sps. So i thought if i use biopellets it would be more consistent. But also cost effective. I would end up eliminating red sea no3po4 and rowa in exchange for biopellets

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Its not really cost factor but more so that when rowaphos needs changing my phos has already gone up then i change it and i goes down. This upsets my sps. So i thought if i use biopellets it would be more consistent. But also cost effective. I would end up eliminating red sea no3po4 and rowa in exchange for biopellets
Cool, I know a few people that swear by them and as luck would have it I was in the LFS talking phos reactors and media etc. I seem to remember him saying that the bio plastics work better or more efficient with some nitrates in the water? Not sure though as he really talked lots and I was starting to zone out;) good luck!