2 Things To Be Identified

Discussion in 'Nano Reef Tanks' started by daveH, Jun 30, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    The first is this small oval thingy that started growing out of some rock.
    It started as just a ring and has been building up the walls at a medium pace. It has a beautiful green glow under blue and purple lights of a night, it doesn't seem to have and polyps growing from it yet.
    oval.jpg

The second thing is, my green goni got stung by my torch.
    It now has this mucus like patch where the damage was done. (the colour is actually brownish)
    I was wondering if it is trying to repair itself with the mucus or whether I should gently brush it off in case it is eating the goni away and spreads futher. Any thoughts?

photo 2.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  2. chimaera

chimaera enjoy the little things

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,651
    Australia
    State:
    VIC
    Top one looks a bit like a Monti? Hard to tell from the pic.

As for the mucus ... I would blow it off, but I don't know whether that's the right move or not!
  3. Lesley

Lesley Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +2,227
    Australia
    State:
    South Australia
    Yes I would blow it off too, very gently. And increase the flow around it if possible to stop it from forming again. It will spread and take over your coral if you don't.
    We had the same thing on one of our gonis when it fell and got hit by a rock, didn't blow it off and it eventually died covered in brown stuff. When it happened again to another one we blew it off and it recovered with the extra flow and turkey baster every so often. It did take a while though.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    I brushed the gunk off the goni and although it looks quite bare underneath the rest of the coral is doing well. I'll have to see if it keeps coming back.
    The extension of the goni has come down in size a bit since I reduced the phosphates, it really did like the high phosphates. But now it's at a more proportionate size to the tank.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to loose the Goni. The gunk won't stop spreading and is over half the surface now.
    If I brush it off it just keeps coming back.
    It's a real shame, that goni was huge when it it was healthy, just took that bump against another rock and it's history.
    Bugga!!!
  6. macca_75

macca_75 Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    Australia
    State:
    Vic
    I wouldn't blow the mucus off, I would try and syphon it away to waste.
  7. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    I'm actually removing the coral into a small container (with tank water) and gently brushing it off and then replacing the coral.
  8. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    It's in pretty bad shape this morning so I've removed it from the DT and cleaned it up and seeing how long it will last in the Yasha.
    I was worried the gunk would start infecting other corals.