News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
2012 - What is to come.
Hi everyone,

Well, I think I have overkilled the hype of project UZIPP. So now, I am going to tell you all what is either in the works, or on the white board.

This list is in no particular order.

Store - There is to be an online store put up. Prices will be competitive, with all money made going to help further develop this website, and to allow us to buy really good prizes for members. Hopefully, it will be fully tied in with your account, so only one login is needed.

Main Page - There is a lot of work going into this. It will be a main page with the latest news in the industry. Obviously, it will show updates made on the site itself, such as product reviews, tank journal updates, etc. However, it will also have feeds from other marine related sites on the internet, so users can quickly find information they find relevant to their search.

Tank Journals - Users will have "wordpress like" blogs in which they can post their tank journal. Each entry will be a new update, and comments to those updates will also allow for easy reading. It will be very easy to view a tank journal from start to finish. Currently, a tank journal is a simple thread in a forum, with updates being very difficult to find within the thread. This way, viewers can simple click each update and view the information. Comments will be relevant to the update too. However, if possible, it will still update the thread in the forum of the current tank journal as to keep the forums journals active.

Calculators - I am still looking into this, but I am sure it will not be too hard to create a few calculators for users to use. These will be javascript based, so calculations will be made extremely quickly, as opposed to loading pages over and over again. This will also reduce server load.

Site Blogs - Similar to the feeds, site blogs will have select users creating articles on a regular basis. This will also be hooked into the forum system, and will allow growth of the website.

Radio - The radio is going 24/7. I am working on having a stream live all the time. If you would like to host your own radio show, please PM me.

IRC Network - Though not certain about this, an irc network may be on its way. Websites around the world will be able to start a chat channel in the network, with advanced features not usually found on IRC networks. News feeds will be available from their site to their channel, and webmasters networking will be extremely easy. This will further help bring the hobby closer together. However, this is a big goal to reach, and it may also be impossible.

Webcam Streaming - There will also be a section on the website, where members can set up their aquarium webcam to connect to the streaming server. Users will then be able to visit this streaming section of the website, and watch other members aquariums live.

Advertising / Services - Though a while away, businesses will be able to have a great range of services and advertising available to them. In order to keep The Reefuge banner free, services and advertising will be tied in together. This is a great service, and I am very excited about it. Money made from this will again be used for hosting expenses, site development, and prizes.

Market - I am still not sure how this will be implemented, but I am sure it will be an "ebay" market. If you are willing to ship your items, then you will be allowed to sell your items in the marketplace. The marketplace will be similar to ebay, completely plugged into the "reeftrader" system we currently have running.

Thanks.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Looks like a fair bit of work for you Neo.. It's great to see there's plenty of development in the tubes, and your not sticking to "just another forum" like the majority of other sites! I'd be interested in doing a radio show will fire throu a PM as I've not an idea of how to do it, programs needed etc..

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi Tang,

Nice try, but I am afraid you are wrong on this one. Perhaps try doing a whois lookup on the domain name to get a little bit warmer?

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
We need more advertisers , like local fish shops to advertise there current stock and this site is so much better than other marine sites i have been too , but have to check them for current stock they have just got in.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
We need more advertisers , like local fish shops to advertise there current stock and this site is so much better than other marine sites i have been too , but have to check them for current stock they have just got in.
Hi chris B,

As the site grows more people will be interested in advertising. We all just need to wait for the site to grow.

Thanks.

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
i was at my local lfs and they didn't know anything about this site, if i had cards for the site, i would of passed them to the store to promote the site.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi chris B,

Thanks very much for that. More cards are getting made up, as there were members requesting them. Hopefully it wont be long now.

Thanks.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Since you changed my title to content team I cant start a conversation anymore... There is something screwy with your permissions!