Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hmmm .. . I don't remember seeing any allowance in the time line to standing around taking photos and relaxing writing posts let alone eating food. :D

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hmmm .. . I don't remember seeing any allowance in the time line to standing around taking photos and relaxing writing posts let alone eating food. :D
His wife helped him, so he pretty much cheated the entire process and then made himself a sandwich!

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Good to hear that it seems to have gone fairly smoothly...

My experience with this type of thing is that if you think it will be finished by 10pm, it will actually get finished by 2am.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Good to hear the move is going smoothly mate!! :) Keen to see what you bring us once it's completed! ;)

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
who said it was going smoothly????
shit, 10pm finish, I was fu*#ing dreaming, i was going till 530am before I nearly drowned in the tank from micro sleeps.
woke up the next day at 12pm and was going to 430am this morning, was back up by 730 and am now at work and still not finished, luckily I went and bought tubs and heaters
I've gone through 1000L of NSW since Tuesday.
I have had one death, my scissor tail was sucked into the inlet of the circulation pump while in the tub.
and did I do it with style? Hhhmmm one look at the state of my garage and me and you will know that it was definitely not done in style.
my garage looks like its been broken into and then the robbers proceeded to piss on my floor, and I look like I've had a train ran on me by the nba all stars

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
What part of the move do you think took longer than you thought?

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
What part of the move do you think took longer than you thought?
was definitely the tearing down of the tanks and re-doing the plumbing, cleaning everything, the tanks and sump had a vigorous clean as well as all pumps were pulled apart and scrubbed.

after adding new sand I had to wait about 4 hours for that to clear up which was much longer than I had planned for.

also when things were ready and I could add livestock back in, the temps between the tubs and tank varied by 2 degrees, so I had to wait a few more hours for them to match up before I could add the live stock.

to be honest, I think the only way this mission could be done in one day is with a team of people, I had help from a mate who is not a reefer but was a great help regardless and its still in the process of being complete, I now have both tanks plumbed and running, all fish are in, 50% of corals in, all equipment is running and done. So just need to get the rest of the corals in and booya!

overall I'm 80% happy with everything, I'm not a 100% happy as I lost a fish and everything isn't perfect as it was a race against the clock. A race that I lost mind you.

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
any advice id give for others,

have plenty of NSW on hand, id say 5 times your tank volume, or your largest tub volume if you have a small tank.

have big tubs, a few heaters, wave makers or pumps, and you'll be fine, I'm so glad I didn't go with the original plan which didn't include the tubs, would have heaps of dead stock and depression medication

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
Hi All,

I hope all is well for everyone.

Quick update, the two tanks were both fully completed by Sunday the 10th. Both are running off the one sump and everything is currently stable.

Im loving the new blue handle taps, i no longer need to put my shoulder into it while holding the pipe. Im loving the single sump dosing. Im loving the cleanliness of it and im loving the new seneye, this has already saved me approx 15 ammonia checks.

All fish are vibrant with colour, no spots on the tangs which is a surprise for me, i think the month and a half of increased feeding definately helped (all food mixed with garlic).
They did initially show signs of stress, but resumed eating normally by Wednesday.

All corals are at full PE, the dallas has grown in the last week...lol gotta love the dallas.

Glad its over, i still have some corals to glue down and a whole bunch of zoa fragging, the rock i have my zoo's on was stuck in the middle of the last scape, i have been waiting a long time for this re-scape to take place.

Pics to come soon.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I always use lots of tubs to spread specimens and rock out so I can rescape more easily. I have 3 200l tubs that we use and it makes life SO much easier.

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
I always use lots of tubs to spread specimens and rock out so I can rescape more easily. I have 3 200l tubs that we use and it makes life SO much easier.
Hey rob,

I would have found myself in allot of trouble without them, I only bought 2 140L tubs and used these for corals and fish, LR i dumped into a 30L bin with a heater thats it, i would stir it occasionally to mix the water around, there just wasn't any room for a pump in there, i did put a couple of pieces of rock in the tubs with corals and fish as there was not enough room in the bin for all of it. I had the LR back in the tank the same day so it wasn't left like that for too long.

E

ezza

People check for ammonia?? ;)

It's good to hear that things have come out ok in the end. So... FTS? Video tour of the house? Can I borrow your barbie mate? ;)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Hey rob,

I would have found myself in allot of trouble without them, I only bought 2 140L tubs and used these for corals and fish, LR i dumped into a 30L bin with a heater thats it, i would stir it occasionally to mix the water around, there just wasn't any room for a pump in there, i did put a couple of pieces of rock in the tubs with corals and fish as there was not enough room in the bin for all of it. I had the LR back in the tank the same day so it wasn't left like that for too long.
When live rock is shipped, it's out of water for 48 hours with only sponges dying off. I usually don't put pumps in the bins as I don't feel it's totally necessary.
Can I borrow your barbie mate? ;)
*Brings some shrimp for the barbie.* :D