Tank Journal Archive

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
he looked like a damn missile when he flew out of the net. He's a sad panda right now, but everyone else in the tank is coming out a lot more now.

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
The GBTA hat took up residence in the filter sock is doing very well now that it's back where it belongs.

Clark,the black mouth bastard seems to be doing ok in the fuge right now...he is NOT going back in the tank. We figure to rehome him to anyone who might need to cycle a tank, or has a tank full of tough guys that will kick his butt on a regular basis.

Then, maybe I'll turn my hand to figuring out why my damn space bar isn't spacing! (trust me this post has been heavily edited)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Oh yea, another GBTA decided to go on walk about last night and is stuck to the damn wave maker. :mad: Hasn't moved in about 6 months and last night decided it wanted to be with the group.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The GBTA pissed me off and I inadvertently fragged it. Now we have a grand total of 9 in the tank, time to have a bubble tip sale, lol.

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
Annnd just removed 2 more bubble tips from the filter sock. Again. I was wondering where they went.

I think these things are indestructible! Chopped up in the wave pump, ripped apart by impatience, 2 trips through the return into the filter sock...and still they live!!

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
So the decision has been made to change over my lighting from LED to halide. This is due to a lack of growth in some of the corals. We're seeing some growth in a couple pieces, notably a favites (sp?) frag that we bought a while ago, and a chunk of Monitpora that got "oops" fragged a few months back. They seem to be growing pretty well, but otherwise, the only thing that seems to be growing under the LEDs is the algae. That crap is blooming like a big dog, and we're both getting a little tired of it. Looking forward to seeing the difference.

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
Hope to have the halides up this weekend. No pics till I get the algae mess cleaned up..

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The vinegar dosing here is working great, even the little tiny patch of bryopsis is breathing it's last. There's one little hermit crab that goes to that Acan and munches away on it, then he clambers back down the rock onto the sand. Nitrates are down to 15 here and still going down. I think the majority of the issues with this tank is phosphate pollution. Most of this rock has been in captivity since the 80s and 90s with only 1 new piece from Fiji I got about a year ago.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The other thing I've noticed is the amount the skimmer is taking out now. About 30ml/day more than before vinegar dosing. We're 10 days in now and all is well.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
M's new skimmer arrived today, she's the proud owner of a new DC700, happy anniversary love, lol!!!

Vinegar dosing progressing along quite well, nitrates are holding at 6 so I upped her tank .5ml and we'll see what happens there for a day or 2.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
What little bit of hair algae is in the tank is just melting off the rocks. We added more GFO to the tank and upped the vinegar to 10ml.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I might start a thread about this. The Bryopsis is disintegrating from what I can only guess is the vinegar dosing. I wonder if it's using the same enzymes to feed as the bacteria uses to feed? Nitrates are holding about 4-5, I'll take a sample to uni sometime this week to confirm.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Bryopsis is down to a small 3cm patch that the hermit crabs seem to like gnawing on. Here's a few top down shots. These were taken right after a good scrubbing so the water's a little turbid.

GBTAs:
ai.imgur.com_WV324bj.jpg

Rescued Lobo:
ai.imgur.com_B0b4YXe.jpg

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Awesome to hear the bryopsis is buggering off! :) That nem is awesome too, love the glow :) I'll have to get some shots from my cube today as well now lol

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Those are the GBTAs from the 130D that we had 11 of at one time in there. There are 2 more in my 93 cube and 1 in her overflow, lol. Time to thin the herd, we've had them split 12 times and have made $340 off them.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Those are the GBTAs from the 130D that we had 11 of at one time in there. There are 2 more in my 93 cube and 1 in her overflow, lol. Time to thin the herd, we've had them split 12 times and have made $340 off them.
Awesome! I wish I could make cash out of my tank lol by the time I've shared bits and pieces with everyone I've got nothing left to sell haha

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I wouldn't feel comfortable taking stuff for free. I guess being in the business makes me look at it differently. I'd trade piece for piece, but I'd have to give you a few dollars for a specimen.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I wouldn't feel comfortable taking stuff for free. I guess being in the business makes me look at it differently. I'd trade piece for piece, but I'd have to give you a few dollars for a specimen.
I always hand out to whoever I'm close with because I usually will have gotten frags from them in the past or have the potential in the future and I mean who doesn't love a good freebie lol I like to share as mid as I can in this hobby, it's expensive enough already haha