Tank Journal Archive

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
3 Months In...
After a couple of years of my then 5 year old nagging me for a "Nemo," I bit the bullet and set up a marine aquarium.

To say it has been a headache is a little bit of an understatement but the LFS contributed to this!

We purchased a 400L tank and had the LFS come set it all up for us in November 2016. After a few hours they were done and gave us a quick run down on how things work, what to change, things to look out for etc and left.
All was well, day 1 of cycling this tank was now underway and the excitement was setting in.
Within 5 days I was on the phone to the LFS and was furious. I had woken to find the tank looking like the leaning tower of pisa! The doors couldn't be opened and I was scared it was going to either crack or fall at any second.
Tank was drained, rocks were taken away and the reason given was because they didn't fasten a couple of the screws!

Fast forward to Jan, tank and stand, plumbing, equipment was all re-installed and the cycling process was again starting.
4 weeks later and the cycle had complete.
Took my daughter to pick out a CUC and the excitement again filled the air.
I have had a bit of green hair algae that I had to contend with but has almost all gone thanks to water changes and the CUC really targeting the area.

Current Stock:

1 Scarlet shrimp
1 Banded Coral shrimp
2 Clownfish
1 Bristletooth Tomini Tang
1 Sea Urchin

1 Green Hammer
1 Elegance Coral
1 Torch
1 Goniopora

I am currently rescaping as the LFS basically threw everything in there so none of the coral are in their rightful spots but they seem to be thriving.

Any suggestions or useful criticism will be openly accepted.
IMG_9311.PNG
IMG_9393.JPG
IMG_9334.JPG
IMG_9321.JPG
IMG_9436.PNG

Attachments

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Sorry to hear you had such a bad start with the set-up - on the bright side at least you didn't have to contend with 400L of water damage! What LFS are you referring to?

Because your tank is quite tall, that might present some challenges (light penetration / aquascaping etc) but could also make for a cool, unique display.

As a suggestion:
Are you familiar with aquascaping the rock into tall "bommies"?
These are basically columns made of stacked LR that are secured together with acrylic rod :reading.
I think this would be a great way to utilise the height of your display and will give you mounting points higher up for more light demanding corals (or anemones). If you do stack the rocks, be wary of the urchin - they are bulldozers and will knock over anything that's not secure.

Another suggestion:
Gorgonians or Halymenia macroalgae might be a good use of vertical space.

No criticisms from me, but I do like your photos (especially the first 3) :)

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
As, above look into bommies for your scape.

Some ideas....
ai12.photobucket.com_albums_a207_thesnakehunter36_cpfarm.jpg

as_media_cache_ak0.pinimg.com_736x_01_72_b1_0172b147e246de9d07a3516d1eab6fd9.jpg

ai12.photobucket.com_albums_a207_thesnakehunter36_aquascape2.jpg

Also, sometimes less is more. I started with a lot of LR. Too much actually, and slowly paired it back.

But eye of the beholder and all that :)

Do you have a FTS (Full tank Shot)?

Looking good all the same :)

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Sorry to hear you had such a bad start with the set-up - on the bright side at least you didn't have to contend with 400L of water damage! What LFS are you referring to?

Because your tank is quite tall, that might present some challenges (light penetration / aquascaping etc) but could also make for a cool, unique display.

As a suggestion:
Are you familiar with aquascaping the rock into tall "bommies"?
These are basically columns made of stacked LR that are secured together with acrylic rod :reading.
I think this would be a great way to utilise the height of your display and will give you mounting points higher up for more light demanding corals (or anemones). If you do stack the rocks, be wary of the urchin - they are bulldozers and will knock over anything that's not secure.

Another suggestion:
Gorgonians or Halymenia macroalgae might be a good use of vertical space.

No criticisms from me, but I do like your photos (especially the first 3) :)
Thank you @Ben Daley
I've actually gone out and bought a whole bunch of different glues, CorAffixPro, Tunze Corl Gum Instant, Construction Epoxy...as I don't want to leave the rock out of the water too long trying to piece things together! I'm still going through so many pics trying to do this right so haven't started glueing anything down, just been moving things around so I can get to the rocks. The LFS chose them and delivered with the tank so there are a few pieces in there I don't know what to do with as yet. It really is an effort trying to do anything in this tank being that it's so deep (second biggest regret, first being that I chose to give this much $$$ to this LFS).

Are we allowed to name LFS on here?

I have had a look at the Gorgonians but not the Halymenia, will read up on these today.

I know exactly what you mean with the urchin, he's already brought a couple down .

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
As, above look into bommies for your scape.

Some ideas....
View attachment 56472
View attachment 56473

View attachment 56474

Also, sometimes less is more. I started with a lot of LR. Too much actually, and slowly paired it back.

But eye of the beholder and all that :)

Do you have a FTS (Full tank Shot)?

Looking good all the same :)
Thanks @lukusis,
That first pic is 1 I had saved from a while ago, love it.

It does look like there is a fair amount of rock but the top half is empty so maybe once I prop things up and glue them it won't look as crowded.

Was considering paying someone in the industry to come do it for me as it really is a deep tank

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
You can name LFS.

Aqua-Knead-It (or equivalent) is your friend ;)

What lighting are you running (sorry if you mentioned already, i must have missed it)?

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
So much cheaper than the ones I've bought, thank you for that.

Coburg Aquarium , most ppl I speak to here in Melb guess it b4 I even have to say who sold me this.

Zetlight Pro ZP3600, I was just told by my new LFS that the lights I have really should be changed in time so I'm furious over that too.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Yeah, if you dont 'need' the coraline look some of them have, Aqua Knead it is loads cheaper. Would eventually be covered in it anyway (you would hope!).

What is the depth of the tank?

Id be peeved too, seem silly, but i can only assume they thought you'd be repeat business when 'upgrading.

Funny that it had the adverse effect.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Display is 80cm in height. I have a 220gal freshwater with a height of 76cm so thought "no worries"! Boy was I wrong. Didn't account for having to actually place things on the bottom of the tank, or remove and raplace things.

Should've went with the Red Sea Reefer I originally went in for!

I actually have thought about changing already but I have spent thousands on this set up so am trying to make it work.

They def won't be getting any referrals from me.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Display is 80cm in height. I have a 220gal freshwater with a height of 76cm so thought "no worries"! Boy was I wrong. Didn't account for having to actually place things on the bottom of the tank, or remove and raplace things.

Should've went with the Red Sea Reefer I originally went in for!

I actually have thought about changing already but I have spent thousands on this set up so am trying to make it work.

They def won't be getting any referrals from me.
Not to be rude, but, dont try kidding yourself to think your going to just have the one set up and 'maintain/enjoy' it. The need for bigger/newer/different design is part and parcel.

Reefing, its a disease! (in a good way!!)

There are always hurdles, and what we have here is an amazing community of support. Enjoy its ups and (hopefully not many) downs :)

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Coburg Aquarium , most ppl I speak to here in Melb guess it b4 I even have to say who sold me this.
Thought that might be the case (the voyagers and zetlight are a bit of a giveaway). I can walk there in 10 minutes but instead make the trip to Williamstown or Deer Park.

If it's any consolation, pretty sure that all of us have made less than ideal purchases, especially when starting out in the hobby.
Best not to think about the money - think of it as a training tank.

Fmxchick

Mar 9, 2017
Thought that might be the case (the voyagers and zetlight are a bit of a giveaway). I can walk there in 10 minutes but instead make the trip to Williamstown or Deer Park.

If it's any consolation, pretty sure that all of us have made less than ideal purchases, especially when starting out in the hobby.
Best not to think about the money - think of it as a training tank.
I wish I did more research into LFS!
I've been going to Williamstown and Deer Park ever since.