Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
4 Months In - And Deposit Put On A New Tank..
Pretty happy with everything so far except for the smidgen of algae.

What I have done today is removed the donut media from the filter socks, as I think it is the cause of some algae & the LFS said originally it does seem to cause algae issues when used with a Hydro Pure, in it's place I have stuffed 2 micron mesh bags with a PolyFilter each, yeah its going to cost me a lot to replace them every 4-6 weeks but you know what, its an expensive hobby anyway and as long as the fish are in perfect condition, I can live with that.

Also, went into the LFS yesterday & they had a new RSR 525XL - I originally had my heart on a ELOs however when the wife found out the price (10k+) she nixed that idea, instead she put a deposit down on the RSR - slight upgrade on the RSR350 in total volume size, I would of liked more splash, splash, wet stuff but for the space we have, price point & general ease of set up it will do just fine.

Planning on Minimal Scape in the new tank and a few larger fish & move the corals I have over to it so they have room to grow.

Yet to decide what to do with the RSR350, maybe pipe fish, mandarins, slower moving fish etc, not much or any coral, maybe a decent showpiece angel.

The only things I am having trouble keeping are the anemone, tried two now, without much luck, they have shrunk a bit and they are rather shy about where they sit themselves, they haven't died, they still eat, they are just very small in size and don't open up fully, LFS said they'd be fine despite the young tank age because of the hydro-pure making the tank 'mature' - that however was probably just a sales pitch that i took hook like and sinker.

anyway Merry Jesus Day reefers, new journal in the new year with we move the tank over to the corner and install the new one.