Tank Journal Archive

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
40cm cube :D
alright well on thursday 4/4/13 i bought a pre existing nano that had an anemone for $200 they claimed they spent $3500 on it which must have been on livestock they killer otherwise they got ripped. its a 40cm nano cube with an 80mm back compartment running the width of the tank that has bio balls sponge and a return pump. after slowly changing 70 litres and rinsing the sponges a lot i got the nitrates down to about 10ppm i had to remove around 2 inches of sand as they had a sand bed that was around 3 inches deep. it has no skimmer because when they bought it the pet shop told them that anemones like dirty water so i will have a new skimmer in a couple of weeks. they only had two t8 bulbs over the tank so i have replaced that with one of the reef secret nano lights i had that wasn't being used and i will slowly be changing the bio balls to rock rubble i am planning to change the first sponge section to a little macro area and will change the sponge around the return pump to a light mesh, change the sand from the normal white sand to the black sand and i will be getting an ato a chiller and maybe a better light a little bit further down the line

fts from the front
IMAG0125.jpg

a top down shot
IMAG0128.jpg

right hand side with the torch i put in yesterday

IMAG0129.jpg

a close up of the anemone it seems a lot happier under the new light but i don't know anything about anemones lol

IMAG0126.jpg
IMAG0127.jpg

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
That's a good looking BTA, hopefully it doesn't stay wedged in there forever.

What skimmer are you planning to use for the back compartment? Maybe a Tunze 9002 might fit?

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
i had a look before and the nem has started to move a little so it will be interesting to see where he ends up ... instead of getting one that would fit in the back i thought it would be easier to get a hang on back skimmer so i decided on an octopus module 400 which is rated up to 350 litres

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
soo after putting the anemone into my 3ft than giving the nem away a couple weeks after because i dont believe it was doing to well in my tank. so i decided to restart this tank. i pulled everything out, cleaned the whole tank, got rid of the sand and threw out the bio-balls and foam than pulled the back compartment out (i'm still deciding if i will leave it out or not) anyway i got some live rock delivered yesterday from reefsecrets yesterday and i have it sitting in the tank with a dodgy filter for water circulation and a heater. the plan is to get a better heater and an mp10 and maybe a new light and to do a proper scape tomorrow
IMAG0260.jpg

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
okay so here is the scape that i settled on i plan on changing sides for the pillars and the flat rock at the front i'm going to have as a zoa rock
IMAG0277.jpg

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
hey nice setup youve got there
Thanks i would have liked to build the rocks up a bot higher but oh well ... Also I had a little hitch hiker I think it might be a Nem at first I thought it was a ric or something but it attaches within like 10 seconds of touching anything anyway I put it in my 3 foot tank so it doesnt die
IMAG0282.jpg
IMAG0281.jpg
IMAG0278.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
does it detach and attach itself places? does it look to have a mouth? is it sticky to touch?

to me it doesnt look like a nem looks like a ric to me

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
it was floating round in my nano so i scooped it with my hand and within about 5 seconds it had sorta attached to my hand but since it attached to the frag plug it hasn't moved but i remember noticing it when i bought the live rock a week ago but than it disappeared thats why i scooped it up to see what it was lol but if its a ric i've never seen one as bright green as it

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
My guess is Majano Anemone, which I think are kinda cool but most people kill like aiptasia as they spread easily and sting.

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
IMAG0289.jpg
okay so here is the scape the plan is #1 will have these gold and red zoas #2 will either be a nice piece of green sinularia or some rics #3 will be the orangey yellow zoas (eagle eyes i think ?) #4 will be rhodactis #5 will be the green zoas than for the rest of the scape i don't know and i will either go bare bottom and grow star polyps on the bottom or put black sand in. the photos attached are of corals that are going in
IMAG0290_1.jpg
IMAG0291_1.jpg
IMAG0292_1.jpg
IMAG0294_1.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nice bonsai scape ;)

Are you keeping the rock behind it too? Would look awesome without it I think .,. just the bonsai structure.

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
yeah there are a few rocks up the back that are left over lol was just to lazy to pull the rocks out last night will do that sooner or later haha

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
okay so its been cycling for 5 and a half weeks than i put some sand in on monday and all tests have been good so i put some corals in yesterday and today will be changing the water every couple days for a while just in case .. i really like the look of the sand
IMAG0319_1.jpg
IMAG0324_1.jpg

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
yeah i cut a couple of the loos zip ties off that were on there just for peace of mind for when i was moving the rocks around now i just need a proper wave maker a skimmer that will fit in the back or a hob skimmer and maybe a filter with floss or carbon in the back compartments

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I feel like you purchased a 'renovators dream' (dream? nightmare?) tank, good on you for accepting the challenge! Looks great :)

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
haha yeah wasn't quite what i expected but its starting to take shape ... does anyone know what this is ? i have two growing out of/just underneath a sarcophyton i bought a couple weeks ago
IMAG0325_1_1.jpg