Tank Journal Archive

Matt_84

Apr 30, 2012
Cooma
Thanks Mate!

I've had a few dramas the last few weeks.
One of my torch corals died, for some reason it became delated and shrunk back into its skeleton, I tried target feeding more, more water changes and moving it to different areas in the tank. My other torches were still going strong so I was at a loss to what was happening to it.
The other day I made the decision to remove it from the tank and dispose of what was left of it :(

Since then my gold stem torch started to show the same symptoms so I removed it from the tank and dipped it in a melafix bath and returned it to a different area of the tank. After a few hours of looking unhappy it started to come out again. That was about 4 days ago, since then I have been target feeding it a range of different foods and it's starting to look alot healthier. Hopefully it will pull through!

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
Looks Great.

I have Orca MT-50 80L tank which i believe is the same a boyu 80L tank. What protein skimmer do you have as I was looking at one that will fit in the back sections of my tank. ?

Cheers

Matt_84

Apr 30, 2012
Cooma
Looks Great.

I have Orca MT-50 80L tank which i believe is the same a boyu 80L tank. What protein skimmer do you have as I was looking at one that will fit in the back sections of my tank. ?

Cheers
Mine is just the standard boyu skimmer, however i have measured back section and i'm 99% sure the Tunze 9002 skimmer will fit in it. My tank is only a 46L so I'm assuming it should fit in your 80L with no worries at all.

Matt_84

Apr 30, 2012
Cooma
To be honest, my skimmer is junk.
It removes more water then actual junk. I just rely on water changes mainly.
Its a boyu WG-308, but I wouldn't recommend it.The price of the tunze is the reason I haven't got one yet as well.

What are you planning on keeping in your tank?

Matt_84

Apr 30, 2012
Cooma
After struggling for days with an auto water change system. I have finally got one working.. hopefully it stays working.. lol

here's a photo of my brilliant prototype
ai1273.photobucket.com_albums_y408_AusMatt1984_IMAG0591_zps0d7c3f70.jpg

if it continues to work over the next few days I'll move the water tanks and pumps under the house to de-clutter the lounge room.

it changes about 600ml a day (which is about 1.3 % i think) at the moment and I can adjust that if I need to. After countless failed attempts, mainly due to my own lack of understanding when it comes to the programming of the RTU I have finally had 4 faultless changes

Fergo

Mar 2, 2013
just picked up a boyu 46L,

any suggestions on a replacement return pump, was thinking a compact or picio maybe 1000L or so?

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
So I got a second hand Tunze 9002. Still have to get the skinny cup for it. I cant see how it will fit under the hod though due to the water level, without cutting the hood. ANy suggestions or ideas ??

Is it possible to lower the water level to the middle compartment somehow ?

Matt_84

Apr 30, 2012
Cooma
I just cut the last baffle down to the correct height, this should adjust the water height

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
hmmm, From what i can see the dividing partition between the middle and last section is already a fair bit below the water. Do you mean to cut the one dividing the first and second sections ? how did you cut it ?