Tank Journal Archive

Ziggy

Jul 6, 2015
Adelaide
5 Months Old Today
How time flies when you're having fun! 5 months old now and the "uglies" are slowly receding. The GHA I was battling is still slowly dieing away. I can still harvest a handful out of the weir once a week but thats half the amount I was pulling out a month or more ago. The algae on the sand bed has slowed its growth rate significantly and while the sandbed still has a green tinge to it from the age, it is a massive improvement on past times.The sea cucumber, the snails and the crabs have certainly made a difference to the GHA in the tank.

I've decided to cut back on water changes. So instead of doing 15% weekly as I was doing, I'm doing 10% fortnightly just to see if it makes any difference with coral growth, colour etc. I'm due for a fortnightly water change tomorrow so thought I'd check the water parameters and they all checked out as fairly spot on.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - undetectable on a Salifert test kit
Phosphate - 0 on Hanna test egg
Calcium - 395
Alk - 8
Magnesium - 1300
Temp - 24c
pH - 8

I've been dosing manually for alkalinity twice daily (11mLs x 2 daily) and this has maintained a stable level. There has been no need to dose for calcium or Mg up until now. I am also dosing twice weekly with Sachem ReefTrace and Seachem ReefPlus.
IMG_3422.jpg

I added a new green torch this morning. My plan is to have the left side of the tank devoted to Euphylias with the very hand hand keyhole bommie being a zoa/paly rock. I have some zoa frags and have glued those onto that right side bommie this morning. I've also reglued a couple of zoas back on that an overly friendly snail must have knocked off.
IMG_3423.jpg

I rearranged the powerheads last week to try and reduce dead spots and also to get just a fraction more movement on the sandbed to stop algae growth. That seems to have been an improvement.

Coming this week is a new dosing pump so I don't have to manually dose anymore and a lawnmower blenny. I'm hoping he will also help defend the tank against the dreaded GHA.

So far so good, I'm really loving how the tank is progressing so far :)

Last edited:

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I often wonder what I did with my spare time before I got a reef tank, sounds like your the same. Move here, change this and that, glueing, water changes on and on. It certainly keeps you busy, with all the hard work, I am surprised its such an addictive hobby.
Looking really nice. All your corals seem very happy.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Looks great ziggy. As your tank matures you GHA problem should disappear (provided your parameters remain in checked )
You will not know your self when the new dosing pump comes into play.