Tank Journal Archive

groundfx

Apr 19, 2017
5l Pico Jar With Refugium
hey guys,

thought i'd post up a journal of my 5L pico.
it started off as a 3L jar but within 2 weeks i spotted the trust ol kmart drink dispenser which looked right up my alley, i had previusly ran a 2ft nano that i had to tear down after doing a 2 1/2 week trip to thailand, with minimal expertise from friends and family it went downhill quickly.

originally i had inspiration from maritza the vase reef, and wanted a basic bowl of saltwater with a few softies and no more than an aerator to provide water flow/movement, but again i quickly realised how much i love the hobby and decided to go a little further with the technology side of things. thus i created a "mini fuge".

6.8L kmart drink dispenser, acrylic disc over the top to reduce evap
2kg live rock
1 1/2" crushed coral sand bed
ebay 200lph micro pump feed for mini fuge
coral flare max II par38 bulb and 120mm ebay bmw angel eye halo actinic :P
750ml glass pickle jar refugium, with inlet in main tank being fed from a tiny, and i mean tiny 200lph pump (30mm square in size), slight pressure builds up in the jar and subsequently pushes out water back into the tank, simple but effective, no drilling, no overflowing, no leaks, no hassles.

perform 90% water changes every 3-5 days with red sea mix and demineralised water ( don't have an r/o unit)
top offs are rare as it doesn't evaporate quickly enough between waterchanges.

livestock consists of:
2 striped hermits
5-6 turbo snails
2 stomatellas
7-9 blastomussa merletti polyps
1 elegance coral
2 different zoo colonies ( forget thier names)
1 turbinaria
colony of uknown star/clove polyps
1 dallas acro frag
5-6 duncan heads

i do a marine snow feed once an hour or so before every 2nd water change to help minimise nutrients.

i am really interested in the whole reef jar concept and am not quite finished yet with the scape and diy part of things, at the moment the fuge jar is lighted by a basic desk lamp but will have it's own lighting system built into the lid in the next day or two. also since the tank is just over 2 months old, it appears some tiny dinoflagellates (brown jelly strands) are starting to pop up in a couple select areas, hoping the fuge which is only a new addition as of today will help consume any excess nutrients, although considering at the rate i do water changes, nitrates barely touch 5ppm, all other params i can't test for as i havent gotten myself a test kit (calcium mag phos etc)

let me know what you think and any suggestions/reccomendations!

will upload a few better photo's in the days to come.

Attachments

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
Well done! Just goes to show what can be done, can we get some more pics of your refugium?

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
You are nuts bud and I mean it in a good way. Man that looks sweet but I imagine that takes a shit load of effort to keep it like that .

groundfx

Apr 19, 2017
thanks guys, curently making the transition from full time work to self employed, so i have a butload of time on my hands to kill lol. scouring the web it seems no-one has really taken on a mini refugium quite like this other than diy chaeto reactors.

so far i'm trialing some chaeto, caulerpa taxifolia, caulerpa racemosa (grape) and caulerpa recemosa var peltata to see what grows the most rapidly, i never had much luck with chaeto in my 60lt nano, just did not want to grow at all while i battled all sorts of nuisance algae in the display tank, but i largely suspect being a noob at the time i used playground silica sand as a deep sand bed lol, the caulerpa taxifolia is already dominating, sprouting new fronds in just a few days whilst sitting in the jar with just an aerator prior to being hooked up to the tank itself whilst awaiting the micro pump as can be seen compared to a 10c piece on the rim of the tank.

as for maintenace side of things, all i really have done in the past 2 months is regular water changes and clean the relatively sparce green dust algae off the glass once a week. i appear to be losing my uknown daisy/clove polyps to bleaching and my green/orange zoo's don't want to open at all either at the moment. i really need to get my hands on some trace element test kits so i can see what's going on there.

Attachments

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Super pico! :)

I cant find it online anymore, but someone in the U.S has a light globe pico in the stand next to their sump. Had an acro and a snail and some other small things. Was really cool.

Id love to be able to have a pico jar in my Van :p

groundfx

Apr 19, 2017
well finally got my led lighting for the fuge jar, 2x hawkeye 1W led with 60degree optics, they come fully sealed and threaded with a nut so i simply drilled 2 new holes in the cap and threaded them through with a rubber o-ring to seal when tightened up. not as bright as i wanted it to be (have had a few sets of these lights and each time brightness varies), but hopefully should serve it's purpose. also tidied up the acrylic lid with some cutouts for the fuge plumbing and now it's looking pretty neat and tidy, apart from some wiring hanging around which i hope to clean up into a custom encoled light housing when i get some time and inspiration to make one.

Attachments