5th Dose Of Nualgi . . . (crickets In The Background)

Discussion in 'Nano Reef Tanks' started by daveH, May 22, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    5th dose today. there's been no noticeable change in the tank since the dosing started.
    The corals are all doing so well from my ongoing dosing it would be hard to tell if they had improved.
    The only thing I was hoping for was for the glass to be a little cleaner. I do get a slight algae dusting on the glass.
    I did a full water test this morning and was a bit concerned that my phosphates have jumped up a fair bit.
    I'm in the process of working on getting a phosphate filter to try and bring them down in addition to a couple of water changes. Although on the other hand, the tank has never looked so good so the higher phosphates don't seem to be giving me any concerns. Nitrates are zero and there is no nasty algae growth in the tank.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +4,679
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    *cricket cricket* ;)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    It would be interesting to hear from Nualgi on the phosphate rise. Especially with a number of us having experienced it.
  4. holly

holly Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +1,514
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Polyps

Polyps Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    So has anyones tank flourished?
  6. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    It certainly doesn't appear that way. :(
  7. Sam Parker

Sam Parker Moderator

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +4,679
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
  8. Polyps

Polyps Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    Seams like the same response on many other forums around the globe. Disappointing I suppose.
  9. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Yeah, they certainly built it up. I wouldn't have been so disappointed if it had just done nothing, but it gave me a phosphate spike that I'm still getting rid of. :banghead
  10. Polyps

Polyps Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    At least you got something, not good but something ;) live and learn I suppose.
  11. Anil Nanda

Anil Nanda Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +34
    United States
    State:
    California
    Just saw this thread...I was following the other thread on Nualgi without realizing this existed!
    As regards your comments above, I am a little confused ...you say that there is no noticeable change and you also say the tank has never looked so good...can you clarify. If you are seeing no change after 2nd dose then it means that diatoms are not growing in your tank. Diatoms are generally present in all waters but can get sanitized by chlorine, phenolic chemicals or if the water is from a highly effective nano filtration system. We have about 20 or so cases that we are currently troubleshooting that fall in this category (ie Nualgi is not making any difference positive or negative). One idea we are trying out is to have one of such tanks dosed with water from a natural source to see if that will introduce the diatoms to trigger the Nualgi action. Here in the US we can buy natural sea water from Petco. I am not suggesting that for your tank right now until we find out more from this trialist. As regards your tank, I would suggest that you stop dosing Nualgi and do a couple of water changes to see if Phosphates come down. What is your phosphate level per your last measurement?
  12. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    What I meant was my tank was in really good condition before I dosed the Nualgi due to the current dosing program I run.
    I do have a slight dusting of brown algae on the glass which was something I thought the Nualgi might ease or remove, what with the statements of people saying that their tanks became crystal clear after dosing with Nualgi.
    Everything in the tank was thriving quite well and all I thought was well maybe Nualgi might bump things up a little more.
    I do use NSW and I did get a bit of a diatom bloom (a bit of a rusty look) with the Nualgi dosing, but at the same time my phosphates jumped up to .45 where I would normally run at around .08 (I currently don't have a phosphate reactor). But I live with .08 with no ill side effects, no nasty algae etc.
    I'm not sure that with the Nualgi program I was supposed to "ride out" the bloom and the phosphate spike, that never seemed to be mentioned as part of the program.
    Luckily I have easy access to NSW and was able to bring the Phos level down, although it is still a bit high.
    Actually, this morning they are .23. So more water changes to go.
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  13. Anil Nanda

Anil Nanda Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +34
    United States
    State:
    California
    Glad to see phosphate coming down. If Nualgi did not do anything to your brown algae on the glass then there is something in your tank that is inhibiting it. Would love to find out what it is. Will keep you informed our our experiment.
  14. Bdear22

Bdear22 Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Australia
    State:
    New South Wales
    Sorry to hijack @daveH. @Anil Nanda have there been different results between newer tanks to older tanks? Better or worse results? Just as both Daves and Sams tanks are fairly new wondering if that has any factors on results.
  15. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    Good questions.
    • Cheers! Cheers! x 1
  16. Anil Nanda

Anil Nanda Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +34
    United States
    State:
    California
    Based on 60 tanks that we have done troubleshooting on, we believe that the one's that are not seeing results are those that have very aggressive phosphate removal media and highly filtered RO water. Since Nualgi requires some N and P to create sufficient diatoms, we are trialing the addition of natural sea water. We will revert once we know the results of this experiment.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. holly

holly Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +1,514
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    I don't use either in my tanks - tap water and have not had my phos reactor for 2 months. I also use NSW. I only saw improvements in coral coloration and extension once I added seachem reef plus and trace, the very next day after adding these two I experienced a diatom bloom and an explosion in bubble algae in the week following.
  18. daveH

daveH Team Leader

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +3,226
    Australia
    State:
    Queensland
    I use NSW which sometimes has a phos of up to .09 and the phos removal media is a small bag of PhosGuard changed once a month plus minimum dosing of NoPoX.
    I do auto top up with RO/DI water.
  19. Anil Nanda

Anil Nanda Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +34
    United States
    State:
    California
    That may actually be good news as it means that Nualgi action started to happen in your tank...I would recommend that you stay patient thru this process and dose 1/7th of the weekly dose every day at the start of your lighting cycle. Manually remove the bubble algae and you should see the tank turning around in 1-3 weeks. Keep the rest of your husbandry unchanged.
  20. Anil Nanda

Anil Nanda Member

Comments:
    Ratings:
    +34
    United States
    State:
    California
    No reason I can think of for Nualgi to not work in your tank. We have had only 1 or 2 trialists out of 5000 report higher phosphates and at least 300 folks reporting improvement in Nitrates and Phosphates. So not a 100% sure what is going on in your tank. Having said that, if you are willing to pursue with Nualgi dosing then I would recommend giving it another shot but moving to daily dosing if you can, while keeping an eye on the phosphate level.