Tank Journal Archive

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
6th Month Mark
Hello all,

AS the tank is just about to hit the 6 month mark I thought it was time for an update. (with a little push from @Mattres )

Unfortunately all hasn’t been well.

You would think after 20years in the hobby that I wouldn’t make basic errors. This would be true however I sometimes operate on half a brain.

I had a bad case of Canyo . For months I was saying to myself, it’s just the natural progression, just let it run its course because I had a new sandbed.

Then I had one of those periods of operating on half a brain and in the blink of an eye I had a box of Chemiclean in my hand.

I am adamant that I used it as recommended and dosed slightly less than recommended.

None the less in the coming 2 weeks I had STN and for reasons I cannot explain I lost all my Millipora’s.

I also had some STN on other two Acros but managed not to lose the whole colony.

I lost most of the colour from the rest of my SPS.

I also had a month where I was reminded how expensive this hobby can be.

Out of the blue one of my 250w MH globe blew.

So I decided to replace both globes (Giesemann MEGACHROME blue 21k)

At $180 each I took a hit there and as expected a week after I replaced the globes the shitty Jeabo wavemakers gave me hell. one died and the other wasn’t turning over half of what it originally doing.

So I reinstalled my Tunze 6095 & 6055 and purchased a 6105. There goes another $400+.

A few weeks ago I lost one of my paired Banggai Cardinal who had been sick with an inflated tummy for at least 6 months. I had had the pair for at least 5 years so it was very sad to lose him/her.

I have sinced replaced it but I think I now have two of the same sex as the don’t like each other and hang out at different ends of the tank.

All in all things are finally looking up with colour retuning to most of my SPSs .

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUiDsuvAUz7/?taken-by=robbiemvfc

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUiEAImAqI4/?taken-by=robbiemvfc

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Talk about a bumpy ride! I'm sorry to hear all that Rob but knowing your experience and dedication everything will be hot stuff in no time! :D It seems to be the flavour of the last couple of months though, there's a few people having it hard at the moment!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Sorry to hear about the problems recently mate. loosing a long time resident fish always hurts :cry
Strange about the chemiclean. I don't have experience with it but have read many times people using it and have had no dramas.
Hopefully that's all the bad luck for the tank and its all go from here!

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Thanks everyone. Despite this post being a bit on the negativity side, I am happy where the tank is ATM.
Colours are bouncing back and I am starting to get some really good growth from a few of my SPS.
i will endeavor to make my next post a positive one