Tank Journal Archive

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
A Belated Update
It's been 3 months since my last update...so here we go. We were away for 3 weeks last month and had a algae breakout before that, so we've been taking it very slow but there are a few new inhabitants in the tank.

We've been having an issue with the Turbos that we added just over 3 months ago. We added 5 and we're down to only 2 left now. We keep having an issue where they seem to be getting lethargic and falling off the rock or the glass. We pick them up and put them back on a rock when we find them but eventually they seem to just give up and die. Two shells we've found empty and one I found our Peppermint Shrimp eating. One of the last two Turbos is showing the same symptoms, so I've just moved him to the sump and he's barely moved in the last 3 days. We've got Nassarius, Astraea & Turban snails and they seem to be getting on fine. Anyone had issues like this before, with Turbos?

We finally got another fish, I've been keeping an eye out for an Orchid Dottyback ever since I filled the tank. I hadn't seen one in person before but the pictures were beautiful...last weekend, I finally got to see one in person and the pictures didn't do it justice! Checkout the pictures below.

My girlfriend has also fallen in love with a tiny Yellow Coral Goby. Anyone have any experience with them? Any thoughts on their compatibility with our tank?

Current tank inhabitants (most were hitchhikers):

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Orchid Dottyback
2 Peppermint Shrimp (sadly our original one has disappeared but we got more)
1 Astraea snail
1 Turban snail
2 Turbo snails (+ a few babies, I think)
4 Nassarius snails
5 Mystery snails (look like a small turbo but they're white, brown with a slightly spikey shell (see picture below). Any ideas? The biggest ones are about 1cm across)
1 Gorilla crab (sumped)
10 (ish) Brittle Stars
4 Sea Urchins

Coral:

Torch
Elegance
Duncan
Morph (orange, toxic green & orange spots)
Zoas (a few different types)
Palys (various hitchhikers)
Fungia (3 hitchhikers, 1 is broken and about 1cm across and 2 are only about 2-3mm across but growing)

I've a few questions,which I'll ask alongside the relevant pictures (thanks for the help, in advance).

ai.imgur.com_DWn9JYkl.jpg

FTS

ai.imgur.com_MZyLYczl.jpg

The Orchid Dottyback (my SLR battery ran out, so these are some potato phone photos)

ai.imgur.com_Zrce6dvl.jpg

The whole family

ai.imgur.com_LYvS8Htl.jpg

That's meant to be a Rasta Zoa frag. It started off with 1 polyp and 1 pup, now we're up to 4 polyps & growing. Since early on there has been a problem with this green, hair-like, algae. I clean it off, using a teasers every few days but it comes back as bad as ever within 2-3 days. Any ideas on how I can get rid of it for good?

ai.imgur.com_kYrbedll.jpg

Mystery snail. What are these guys, they're pretty small but I've got a few of them?

ai.imgur.com_tiMKh65l.jpg

The green growth, in the middle of the photo, with the white protrusion on top. No idea what this is, anyone know what it is? It started off small and it's slowly getting bigger.

ai.imgur.com_V41sdxZl.jpg

Our clownfish are growing up and this one is getting bullied. It has taken to hiding, when it's being chased but it seems to have gotten injured. It's still eating fine but it's got these marks on it, you can see one on the right-most white band and another just to the left. I'm keeping an eye on it but it's worrying me. Anyone else had an issue like this? Anything I can do to help him?

ai.imgur.com_k1LXo1ul.jpg

Sorry for the crap photo...they only come out at night. Anyone know what type of Sea Urchin these are? They're about 3-5cm across, including the spines.

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
1. A coral goby will be fine in your tank, but I’ve had them before and have nipped corals so be careful.
2. Put the frag where there’s more flow. That will solve the issue of algae growing on that frag but you need to fix the algae problem in entirety (nutrient export)
3. That’s just a different turbo snail. If you’re finding they are dying sounds like they are being outcompeted for food.
4. What other fish is bullying the clown? If it’s the other clown it should settle down. If the dottyback it probably won’t, they are known for having a temper. You can try putting a mirror against the outside of the tank and the dottyback may target its own reflection rather than the clown.
5. Short spine urchins. Look up on liveaquaria for more information

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
Yes, the clown is being bullied by the other clown...sorry, should have specified that.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Yes, the clown is being bullied by the other clown...sorry, should have specified that.
Don't stress about that . They are just fighting to see who will become the Female.
Once that happens they will be fine together.

Typical Females always win.... :( lol

Also , with the Snails, You could get some Nori sheets and add little strip onto a rock (via a rubberband)
This will give the snails some food.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
The Urchins will eat coralline algae, a trait some people don't mind. Aside from toppling a few things over, they are harmless. I have had my two for almost four years now.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Where did you get your turbo snails from?

I don't have any now, but did buy some years ago and wondered if I'd been sold temperate water snails...