Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Testing the tank on the stand (excuse the dirty fingermarks everywhere :))
RSR-11.jpg

The tank fits nicely - it actually extends over the front of the stand which is a bit disconcerting to start with, but it ends up being flush with the doors for a neat finish. Overall, the tank is well built with minimal (black) silicon.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The central weir contains three pipes - full syphon, secondary overflow and return pipe. I like the idea of having two threads on the pipes where they go through the bottom of the tank - the bottom thread becomes the connection point for the pipes leading into the sump which saves having additional fittings that might leak.

RSR-12.jpg

RSR-13.jpg

Looking into the weir
RSR-14.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The full syphon is also interesting - it consists of the main pipe, together with a larger pipe that fits over the top

RSR-17.jpg

RSR-15.jpg

RSR-16.jpg

The top of the clear section sits just above the water level in the weir which means that the water entering the syphon must come from the lower level of the weir - the documentation state that this results in greater mixing of the water in the weir and prevents 'dead' spots. I'm not sure if it makes a great deal of difference but there is a bit of logic to what they are saying.

Last edited:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I am way past the age of worrying about peer pressure :D

@MTG, yes it is still going but has been somewhat neglected since it was setup, and has never been fully stocked.

I will see if I can get some photo's up over the weekend.