Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

A Few Pics
My daughter and I popped to the beach to go to "Snail City" as she calls it. At varying times of the year there are different snails. Last year around this time there was nothing much- periwinkles only. This time we struck gold. We collected some periwinkles, turbinaria, and my favourite- trochus snails. I got one massive snail as big as my hand.

You are allowed to collect limited numbers of each variety, roughly 20 of each. These guys will be a great addition to what I have in the tank left from last collection. Most live a reasonable length of time, some get eaten by worms. When my hard corals are doing well, so are the snails. We also collected a small amount of weed. I like to pick up kelp or whatever that is already loose. I try to avoid uprooting it.

Sometimes I find snails kids have been throwing around and if they look like they won't die immediately I'll give them a go. I picked up a couple of shells last summer that had been terribly shattered. On one in particular I removed the broken piece which was about 50% of the opening edge which meant the snail had a lot less to protect him when he would come out. He has been kicking on ever since. He attaches to the wall or rock and just munches away for days. You rarely see him move, but he works through the algae around him and is doing well.

Something a bit random, I found a baby Sea Hare hanging out wanting a close up while sitting on a shell. I thought it must have come from my Sea Hare that I bought some time ago, but it's likely he was on the seaweed I brought back from the beach. He is super cute and I welcome all algae eaters! I have a couple of very difficult spots where I struggle to remove the algae from the back wall. I hope the Hare and snails will chow down and enjoy it!

IMG_0334.JPG
Snails

IMG_0339.JPG
The morning coffee date

IMG_0342.JPG
Baby Sea Hare

E

ezza

IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0421.JPG

I bought these yellow Acro pieces today. I hope for the best, we'all see how they go!

E

ezza

How are those SPS going now @ezza ?
Sorry for the late reply. I had a stressful week and just got my final essay in for Uni this evening. They're still alive! After I did my last water change I was perplexed by a small, sudden but constant growth of an algae and a few diatoms. I had just done full checks and tests on everything and received a new main pump which runs perfectly. I thought it might have been because I had run the tank on my teeny reactor pump for a few days.

Somewhat randomly I decided to wash my two little fishies vege clip in some bleach. When I removed it from the bucket I noticed the glass facing white plastic cover that is inside the tank was torn and there was rust coming out! The damn thing had been releasing oxidised iron into the water in minute amounts. Just enough to create my algae!!! It's frustrating. I threw the magnet bit away and just hooked up a temporary plastic line to the plastic clip so my tang can eat his nori.

So yeah, the corals are definitely living and looking ok but I anticipate I will see the growth I have been missing very shortly. I'll get a new photo in the morning. :)

E

ezza

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG
I bought this hydnophora last weekend at Asquith.

There's been a little browning this week. I'' confident it will go soon.