Tank Journal Archive

Clarityreef

Mar 22, 2015
A Move To Euphillia Dominated Tank
So it seems I have a love for euphillia's and all its wonderful glorious species. I have dedicated most of the space in my tank to keeping torches and hammers. They are absolutely easy to look after too!

So far I have 5 hammers and 3 torches and many other lps. My favourite being the teal hammer on the top!
My hunt for more continues, but I start to run out of space!

ai1280.photobucket.com_albums_a495_clarityreef_hammer_203_zpsrwn2olwv.jpg

ai1280.photobucket.com_albums_a495_clarityreef_hammers_205_zpsdcbr8rsl.jpg

ai1280.photobucket.com_albums_a495_clarityreef_hammers_204_zpsuvbouvz2.jpg

ai1280.photobucket.com_albums_a495_clarityreef_Hammers_202_zpssnf2h58b.jpg

ai1280.photobucket.com_albums_a495_clarityreef_tank_20_zpsrp7om0so.jpg

ai1280.photobucket.com_albums_a495_clarityreef_tank_202_zpsnqmqmycu.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Lovely! Hammers and Torches look great en masse with all the colour and movement.

Keep on top of your water parameters - these LPS are very prone to Brown Jelly Disease. I would make an attack plan now should you notice any in the tank.

Clarityreef

Mar 22, 2015
Definitely keeping an eye for brown jelly. Havent found any yet. Researching plans in case I spot any in the tank.
Params are looking good.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
I like the idea of an euphyllia dominated tank too! Good luck. As others have stated, be careful about having multiple euphyllias near each other. A lot of them won't care when it is the same species (as you know with your hammers), but otherwise warfare could be horrible.

Clarityreef

Mar 22, 2015
So it seems the BTA loves to move around alot. Had to move the back rock work to accommodate all my euphillias and BTA. BUT I think that made my tank look even better!

Im happy that the euphillias chosen has not resulted in any warfare, but with real estate becoming less it may or may not become a concern later. Probably time to get more live rock

In the mean time.
Cant help but sit and watch the happy corals flow. With the vortech set on lagoon mode it seems to be working well.

I plan to get a few more pieces of acans on my next trip to eastwood aquariums.
ai1280.photobucket.com_albums_a495_clarityreef_11180228_1020673bd4a17f54ec02c5899213611defaf05.jpg

ai1280.photobucket.com_albums_a495_clarityreef_11198903_1020679bc536c6654ce652a8e4304d12cc621d.jpg

Clarityreef

Mar 22, 2015
Feed that anemone to get its colour back and that should keep it in place.
Funny that, cause that the 2nd time someone has told me that... I purchased this BTA a while back, it was white (very tiny tiny tint of green) with pink tips.
But I will start feeding it again despite the maroon hosting it.

UPDATE:
Its been a few good weeks, no new stock except for some palm trees and a purple tippedstarfish purchased yesterday. The hammers are doing very well, even the torch and hammer will cross paths sometimes dont mind it. I have not had an outbreak of brown jelly too. phew. Going as planned.

I decided after a long while and contemplation, that I will set up the TLF150 for biopellets. So I did just that. So far its been 3 days and only a little amount to start with. Now contemplating a bag of carbon...

E

ezza

It's a lovely tank. I want to get more hammers so I can create my own little garden I have planned since day 1.

On feeding nems, when I "feed the tank", I feed the nems first. I just pump them full of my blend of brine/mysis/spirulina/prawn/roids/flakes etc and then the fish. It hasn't done me wrong in 2 years.

Clarityreef

Mar 22, 2015
It's a lovely tank. I want to get more hammers so I can create my own little garden I have planned since day 1.

On feeding nems, when I "feed the tank", I feed the nems first. I just pump them full of my blend of brine/mysis/spirulina/prawn/roids/flakes etc and then the fish. It hasn't done me wrong in 2 years.
Whoa thats a good blast of food! I might try the same and even prepare a frozen mix to defrost when needed.
I may yet again change my rock work cause I want even more euphillias! but problem is stirring up the and bed when moving the rocks.

Clarityreef

Mar 22, 2015
That teal hammer is nice!
Would be lots of nice movement in the tank!
Got the teal hammer from Eastwood LFS. Best stock there for euphillia's Ive seen. Will be going back there soon
There is lots of flowing hammers and swooshing in the tank especially when they fully extend with the light cycle.