Tank Journal Archive

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
A New Start
Hey everyone,

So its been a very long time between updates (ok heading up to two years) ive decided to do a reboot with saving some of my favorite frags and a few corals and starting a fresh with a new rock and scape and just letting everything grow out naturally.

Its come as a bit of a shock being so sparse compared to how I am used to having oversized corals crammed up against one another but nothing good happens quickly.

I quick pic of things after they have settled in a little, the rock has been seeded in my garage for I think about 8 months, it initially underwent the zeo cycle and was seeded with pods, sponges and cuc from my display.

39653604-04a4-4146-a723-989b2da80a76.jpg

The pods where collected using a 50um net and after the cycle finished the tank was fed a mixture of reef roids and copepod diet green water every day for the next six months until the tank looked like coraline algae that was ridden with lice.

2 months before the rock was brought up i started 50% water changes each week and rowaphos was also introduced All levels were pulled down to zero and were held there for over a month, this may have been for better or worse as after the transfer what was completely covered with coralline, flaked off about two days after transfer.

Tank is currently being dosed automatically with;
Red Sea Calcium and strontium
Red Sea Alk
Red Sea Magnesium
Zeo Start 3
Zeo Food
Zeo Sponge power
Elos Trace elements + Iodine

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
All the corals are aquacultured with the exception of the Gonis and Clam, the corals are a mixture of local frags from Friends, a soft coral pack won from @Oceanarium, a care package sent from our melbourne crew (@Agent M) a few months back as well as some zoas from @Fragalicious.

The plan in to phase out the xenia and move some of the branching soft corals to the right hand bomie and getting some sps through @Oceanarium and planting the top section of the left hand bomie out.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Going back to the evil sticks ? :(
Partial evil sticks partial flubber, we will see which one prevails!

I really really like lps but am struggling to find the time and effort to hunt around like i used to, if the frags dont take there may be a revisit but if I can plant them and watch them grow out over a few years, they have pretty strong apeal at this stage.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Love it! Was going to say I was surprised you kept the xenia but looks great for now
The xenia stems back from a frag I got from @Oceanarium about 7 years back and has been passed on from tank to tank, infecting anyone's tank who will take it, it has got to the stage where I will throw out about 30 fist sized frags of it a year, i actually love how it looks but it is very aggressive in how quickly it grows :(

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i dig a nice soft tank. Interesting choice to start again but im sure you wont regret it once it all grows in!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I was not originally planing to do this but with the opportunity of the awesome rock and scape i thought it a bit of a no brainer.

Reactions: MTG