Tank Journal Archive

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
A Path Of Good Intentions Leads To Hell :(
One of the problems with sharing with family and loved ones your passion for a specific species is that they will, at some point, decide to surprise you with one. I had told my partner how I love Mandarin Gobys and how hard they are to keep alive in an LFS. I explained how they are usually wild-caught, making the purchase cost cheaper, but that they are not trained to eat artificial foods and thus the Mandys tend to die before anyone can buy them or soon after purchase.
My partner decided, 2 weeks ago to visit the LFS without supervision and saw some Target Mandarins wasting away in one of their tanks. He picked the smallest, thinnest, weakest looking one because that was the one he felt sorry for and thought that I would also choose that one to rescue. I was touched that he thought I was that caring but my heart also sank. The poor fish was barely keeping body and soul in the same dimension :(
Still, my tank was swarming with copepods so I was confident he would have enough to eat for a week or so at least - until I could train him to eat brineshrimp and then frozen foods, anyway.
He seemed stunned by his new home and sat quietly for an hour or so but then began tentatively picking at the rocks. Then next day he was humming about the tank like a wind-up bath toy, scoffing pods left right and centre. He did this for several days and was slowly putting on weight - he was still painfully thin but was developing a layer of meat over his bones and was extremely interested in the goings on around him. I liked to watch him hovering over a piece of LR, for all the world like a hawk in a hay field. My partner insisted we call him "Mikhail"....as in...Mikhail Goby-Chov. I nicknamed him Mikky and he seemed to be slowly but surely improving.
Until yesterday *sigh*
I had bought a small torch coral from the LFS and put it in the tank on Friday. That night everyone seemed happy so I put the lights out and went to bed. I went to work the next morning and came home 11am Saturday to find Mikky sitting on the sand and gasping.
I watched him for a bit and decided something was badly wrong. I thought he might be needing oxygen so I caught him in a small net and put him up near the surface in the pump flow. He couldn't sit upright and I decided the water must be the problem.
I made up some ASW and put it in a clean bucket with an air bubbler, caught Mikky and put him in then tested the tank water for Nitrates, Nitrites and Ammonia.
All three were through the roof which told me something had died - turned out later it was the Mulberry Snail. I should have chucked him out, like I had intended to a couple of weeks ago :(
Meanwhile, Mikky was still breathing but heavily so I decided to do a 3/4 water change on the tank. I fished out the LR and my two corals and put them with Mikky. He was beginning to do death spirals which wasn't a good sign. But then, I've had a damsel do that and after a water change, was astounded to see it back to normal the next morning. I was hoping Mikky would pull through but given his poor physical condition and recent stressors, I didn't delude myself.
I kept Mikky in the bucket for a few hours and held him in my hand for ages, near the bubbler, hoping he would be able to pass the toxins before they killed him.
Unfortunately, after 3 hours, he died.
I was pretty depressed at this because I felt really guilty. My partner was upset as well and decided that corals are to blame and are evil *sigh*
I don't think I will be getting anymore fish any time soon.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Oh, honey :( I'm so sorry :( That's so devastating!!
So there are no fish in your tank now? :(

And does that mean that you're anti-corals at the mo, too?? :(

As you well know, this hobby is FULL of ups and downs, and the important thing is to never EVER let it get you down to the point that you don't stay on that horse.

Big hugs, honey!!
xxx

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Thank you Bek. I am sticking with my corals for now. I have the opportunity in a few weeks to acquire several 3' & 4' tanks with stands, lights, etc for $100 so i'll set those up nxt yr & see about a FOWLR or 2

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
As someone who has sat with many animals now while they die, I have to put it in a reasonably non-emotional compartment of my brain otherwise I wouldn't cope, so please forgive any insensitivity ahead of time (ie. I hope I say the right thing here)... It wouldn't have taken much to push his body over the edge - with starvation to that degree, his organs and ability to digest would almost certainly have been compromised - he may have even died of kidney failure down the track after an apparent full recovery, leaving you at a loss as to why. You can't beat yourself up over what happened - he was already on a knife's edge and you didn't put him there, you gave him a chance.

I think that his final moments could not have been more dignified under the circumstances, you did everything you could to make him more comfortable and you held him, he couldn't have been in better hands, literally. Death is never pleasant, never without suffering and is confronting when you literally share the experience with the animal. You can't blame yourself or sit and wonder if things could have been different if you did this or that - sometimes in helping, we make a mistake that doesn't work out for the animal - in trying to rescue animals, I have also killed them. You do the best you can. The responsibility of his death started well before he came into your care - and unfortunately, you were the only one that cared enough to try to reverse the process of neglect that had happened to him along the way.
Makes me cross that the LFS sold this fish to your boyfriend in the first place and that you had to go through this :rage

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
As someone who has sat with many animals now while they die, I have to put it in a reasonably non-emotional compartment of my brain otherwise I wouldn't cope, so please forgive any insensitivity ahead of time (ie. I hope I say the right thing here)... It wouldn't have taken much to push his body over the edge - with starvation to that degree, his organs and ability to digest would almost certainly have been compromised - he may have even died of kidney failure down the track after an apparent full recovery, leaving you at a loss as to why. You can't beat yourself up over what happened - he was already on a knife's edge and you didn't put him there, you gave him a chance.

I think that his final moments could not have been more dignified under the circumstances, you did everything you could to make him more comfortable and you held him, he couldn't have been in better hands, literally. Death is never pleasant, never without suffering and is confronting when you literally share the experience with the animal. You can't blame yourself or sit and wonder if things could have been different if you did this or that - sometimes in helping, we make a mistake that doesn't work out for the animal - in trying to rescue animals, I have also killed them. You do the best you can. The responsibility of his death started well before he came into your care - and unfortunately, you were the only one that cared enough to try to reverse the process of neglect that had happened to him along the way.
Makes me cross that the LFS sold this fish to your boyfriend in the first place and that you had to go through this :rage
Thank you sweetie. I know its not my fault & that i did my best but that bit of me that insists everything is my fault is still pretty vocal *sigh*

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Seeing these pics are heart wrenching :cry I would be devastated at the loss too.

Collectors should stop catching them and LFS should just stop selling them!!! :rage:rage
They are now aquacultured so theres no reason to catch them other than more profit (wild caught cost less)
And as commercial tv has shown us, humans will pretty much stop at nothing to turn a profit. So i dont like the chances of a few small, exquisite gobies :( *sigh*

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
So sorry to hear your news Michelle:cry
As Agent M says it was not your fault at all- you did all you could to save him

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Collectors should stop catching them and LFS should just stop selling them!!! :rage:rage
Not knowing what the process is for collecting and transporting these fish, I can only assume that they aren't offered the right foods, or any food, or are too stressed to eat? Considering they eat live foods so readily in our tanks on arrival I'm at a loss as to why this happens - I can understand not wanting water to be fouled during transport, but how long are they in transport? Surely not long enough for this kind of weight loss. What I do know is that I've never seen them in a tank with food at an LFS - so I don't believe they are being fed, either at all or with the right foods. I would love for some light to be shed on this problem and also to know how long it takes for them to get skinny like this, as I'm guessing it may only be a few days of zero food.

Whatever the reasons, the transport process is not working for these fish, people are being asked to pay money for the pleasure of seeing them die due to no fault of their own - its appalling and it needs to change.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Not knowing what the process is for collecting and transporting these fish, I can only assume that they aren't offered the right foods, or any food, or are too stressed to eat? Considering they eat live foods so readily in our tanks on arrival I'm at a loss as to why this happens - I can understand not wanting water to be fouled during transport, but how long are they in transport? Surely not long enough for this kind of weight loss. What I do know is that I've never seen them in a tank with food at an LFS - so I don't believe they are being fed, either at all or with the right foods. I would love for some light to be shed on this problem and also to know how long it takes for them to get skinny like this, as I'm guessing it may only be a few days of zero food.

Whatever the reasons, the transport process is not working for these fish, people are being asked to pay money for the pleasure of seeing them die due to no fault of their own - its appalling and it needs to change.
absolutely - they should either be ordered in based on paid orders from customers or not at all.