Tank Journal Archive

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
A Trip To Bunarong Aquarium (frankston)
I went to Bunarong Aquarium in Frankston today to grab another powerhead. There is a lot of good things to say about this shop, enough that I am making a TJ entry about it! I must confess I never went there much in the past because it was out of my way, so I am just getting to know them now. The staff are genuinely lovely to deal with and the owner Brett has been in the hobby for 26 years and has an obvious passion for it that he doesn't hold back in sharing. He can shift easily from beginner to advanced reef keeping - from the simplest setups to all the gadgets depending on which way you swing. I had a fun shopping experience with them today - it was great!

There are only healthy fish on display - NO skinny ones! High praise from me here. It pains me to see skinny fish in an LFS and spoils the excitement of getting something new, so do yourself a favour and go somewhere they work hard to build themselves a good reputation, like Bunarong. It will not cost you more as you will have greater odds of success and the prices at this particular LFS are very reasonable anyway. I was also impressed that he remembered me from last time and had followed up on a request I had for a hard to find soft coral (feeling hopeful, I can be patient!). I also got some red macro from him last time that is one I've never seen before so he has some majorly cool stuff.

You can see from the videos the fish are already used to being handfed and they love their food. If you know what its like to have to convince your new fish to eat, you will know how fantastic it is that a shop feeds them so well from the start.

I fell in love with this Mimic Tang - he had such character.

Happy fish :)

And a really cool reef lobster! Pay attention to Brett's advice as to what to keep them with - a coral only or corals/large fish tank. They will eat your fish otherwise, yum.

JimmyG

Feb 9, 2014
I bought a beautiful fat orange shoulder tang from Bunarong 4 weeks ago, it was eating nori from my hand before I could reach into the tank and place it on the clip!

My favourite LFS by far. Brett and Richard are so helpful and always give advice on purchases.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I've been making an effort to go to every LFS around Melbourne this last couple of months trying to get ideas for setting up my tank. I've met some great people and I like to have a chat and get a feel for what the shop has to offer. I haven't been able to make it to Deer Park or Reef and River yet but I have to say Bunarong is still coming out way on top for me!

I can't fault them. Their after sale service is exceptional as well, which is a rare thing these days. Brett even sorted out a spare part for me that was from a piece of equipment I didn't buy from his shop after I got brushed off by the original seller. I am the kind of person who dreads having to ask for help when something goes wrong so that won me over and some customer loyalty started to form.

This is a shop I want to see around for a long time yet - and I've decided to go to them for the things that I need from now on. I have some major purchases to make this year, and I was feeling nervous about how I was going to get it all to come together smoothly until I spoke to Brett.

So I'll be a semi-frequent visitor to the shop over these next few months - stay tuned for more videos of the interesting things I see in the tanks :)