News

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Q. Why do you choose to remain anonymous?

I'm not... see there i am :)

A.

Q. How old are you?
A. 34

Q. What made you get into reefing?
A. Something different

Q. Are you Male or Female?
A. Other

Hmmm kept fish tanks most of my life (stopped for a while around age 16-19 other things on my mind lol) and got back into it seriously around 3 years ago. I sold all my tanks when my wife dragged us down to shitsvi I mean Melbourne, nah i like it alot more than i thought i would, and had plans to set up a small 3 foot tank given were renting and ended up coming across a link to the reefuge in an old members sig on a bonsai forum and now i'm broke and my planned tank is a foot longer and a foot wider :rolleyes

Born and bred in qld, and would love to go back but i think i'm stuck here now pending a divorse down the track but then i wont be able to afford a reef tank... so i'm stuck here lol Given i'm from qld I used to follow rugby league since the broncos began in 88, i think, but lost interest in it so for the last 8 years or so I turned my attention to football (real football not the one eyed melbourne version they proclaim to be football) and yes Webber we will make it 3 in a row lol with or without the rat. The victory might make it to 3rd last this year with the super coach. I doubt i'll ever turn to lAmeFL i used to have chickens that scratched around in the dirt which was about as entertaining but at least I got 4-5 eggs a day :p

My hobbies are playing golf (though i suck at it atm) and once the kids are in school bring on friday golf day (then i might actually get better lol) and fishtanks and photography though that has taken a backseat for the last 5 years. I like gardening to mainly fruit and veg and natives to bring in the animals and a few bonsai trees. Back in brissie my whole front yard was natives and half the back was fruit and veg and the other half was a pool and more natives. The yard was full of birds, lizards and snakes. When i get my own place down here if we ever do there are so many more types of fruit that are easily grown to looking forward to that!
Thats about all i got.....

Next???

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
A. It's easier that way

Q. How old are you?
A. 27 (I actually just had to work that out, couldn't remember if I was 27 or 28:confused:)

A. I like having expensive hobbies

A. Male

Q. Are you Matt Green?
A. One of my cars is

Q. I am really good at reefing and I would like to become a moderator. Next time you are looking for a mod can I be it?
A. yes

About Me:

I'm not really one to talk about myself too much but a general gist of it. I'm 27 (obviously) have a 6 month old son which has been one of the most entertaining 6 months of my life. I finished school after year 11, it wasn't really for me, I finished up on straight A's but found it extremely boring and hard to keep myself focused. I went for an apprenticeship instead, as a toolmaker. My main goal was to end up working for my father in the family business which is steel supply, machining and general engineering. Which I did, I learnt CNC machining through out my apprenticeship then after finishing that bought myself a CNC machining center and started working here 5 years ago.

Outside of working 60+ hour weeks, I make sure I spare some time get out fishing once a weekend. I usually get up extra early then I'm home before the misses and son are even out of bed generally so I can spend as much time as possibly with him. One of the worst mistakes of my life has been buying a crappy run down house which needs a heap of renovations, it should work out well for me in the long run but at this point in time I am kicking myself for buying it as I struggle to find the time to get it all done.

My misses is an animal lover (had 4 horses, 2 dogs, a cat and 2 parrots when i met her) add to that my dog we had a bit of a farm going on and I really want to add a ferret to the list as I used to have one which was house trained but not sure how it would go with the dogs. The best part about all that is with the amount of money she spends on her horses she can never complain about the money I spend on my newly acquired fish keeping past time ;)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Q. How old are you?
A. 26

A.Funny Story. I was on the toilet.

Kept freshwater for 29 years or so, Basically my wife 'assidentally' killed the discus that were in this tank and I decided to get back into breeding cichlids. As I was pondering away on the throne I started to think about converting it to Marine. I moderate a fresh water forum and asked a few questions to the guys there that had reef tanks and was told its possible but very difficult for a first reef tank with no sump etc and only 120L or so. Sounded like fun so I got underway and then found one of the mods here on RTAW and he directed me here.

A. Male

Q. Are you Matt Green?
A. Not at this stage.

About Me;
26 year old Australian with Spanish heritage, married to a welsh woman. Main passion apart from fish is Barca and food. Spent a good deal of time travelling Europe watching football, mainly in Spain following Barca and have now settled back home. I host my own cooking site which is slowly getting off the ground and as said before moderate another aussie fish forum.

Next??

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Q. How old are you?
A. 27

A. I got over my discus tank

A. Male

Q. Are you Matt Green?
A. No..is this an in joke that I'm not aware of?

About Me;
I work in make-up as a trainer. Live in st kilda victoria with my wonderful blue whippet called oscar and long term partner Andrew.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Q. How old are you?
A. Late 30's

A. Have always been interested in natural history and species interactions. Reefing was a way of studying these interactions without having to get wet!

A. Male

Q. Are you Matt Green?
A. No

About Me;
I am the Principal Ecologist for the Queensland Branch of Aurecon, which is a mult-national Enginering Firm. I completed school, then went on to complete an Associate Diploma in Pure Science, A BSc in applied Science (Biological and Chemical Tec) with a Microbiology Major, an Honours Degree in Environmental Science, and then a PhD in Zoology. I then went on to Lecture in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics and Biology, but after 2 years, moved to QLD (from Sydney). I then began my career in Consulting, and have been doing it ever since.
I have very many hobies, most of which involve observing the natural world. I am particularly facinated by invertebrates, but none more so than the eusocial insects (Ants, Bees, etc). I have a wife (bless her heart for putting up with my obsessive personality and my many 'projects') and two wonderful sons that I adore.
My work keeps me very busy, which 'gets in the way' of my projects and my reefing, and reduces my time with my family, which there never seems to be enough of. Always interested in answering questions wherever I can and am a firm believer in passing on knowledge to whoever is interested.

In the words of Albert Einstein........

"Everybody is a genious, but if you judge a fish by it's abiltiy to climb a tree, it will spend the rest of it's life believing that it is stupid!"

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Q. How old are you?
A. 22

A. I sucessfully kept all kinds of freshwater tanks over the past 2 years, mainly cichlids, from tiny nano tanks to 6ft planted tanks with co2 running etc, after this i felt i needed a new challenge, i was always amazed by the beauty of marine life when i would enter the LFS and wanted a slice of it in my room, i find fish tanks very relaxing.

A. Male

Q. Are you Matt Green?
A. nope, although if i keep taking his advice on scaping my tank i might be mistaken for him in my TJ.

About Me;
im origionally from england, lived in a little village in the Yorkshire country side for the first 16 years of my life before the family decided to take the gamble and move down under, i must admit at first i hated it, leaving friends and family and coming to a country where i knew nobody was quite difficult, and having finished school in england passing all major subjects i chose not to complete the aussie equivelent, which i now regret as i think going to school for a couple of years would of made life a whole lot easier when it comes to meeting new people! took me a while to adapt to the australian way of life, but 6 years on im loving it and have never been back to england, not even for a holiday! we managed to find a nice couple of achers in the SE subburbs of melbourne, a little reminder of where we lived back in england, feels like you are out in the sticks but really only a 10 minute drive from normal suburbia life, perfect. im the kind of person that is always taking on new challenges, i find it hard to just sit around and do nothing and i like to have a dabble at all kinds of hobbys, my only problem is i dont like to do them by halves, often resulting in piles of expensive equiptment/toys collecting dust in the garage, but a few of the hobbies that have stayed with me for the long run are Gym, Diving, Spearfishing, Rod and reel fishing, keeping fish, and probably my favourate hobby of all dirtbike riding! as for work, ive tried my hand at alot of things, virtually every male in my family has a different building trade and ive done labouring work for pretty much all of them, everything from traditional english slate roofs which i did for about 2 years on and off inbetween jobs & was probably the most enjoyable and rewarding job ive had, still considoring going back to that trade as it is a verry rare skill to have and with the herritage homes work is always busy, labouring on my old man who is a stone mason, a very skilled one at that too, some of the sculptures he has carved with basic hand tools are amazing, working with my uncle who is a carpenter, and then my own trade which is plumbing, mainly dealt with the gas, water & roofing side of things as im not a huge fan of drainage lol. anyway enough about me, ive rambled on for long enough i think.

Edit: oh and im a giant.... a friendly one tho.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
A. Because no-one has bribed myself with enough reasons or $$$ :cool:

Q. How old are you?
A. Mid Century, but then age is just a number and I don't feel like it most days.

A. Did the cold and tropical thing, admired my now ex LFS display tank, so made the choice to give it a go. 8 years later still going and working on that awesome display tank.

A. Male, last time I looked!

Q. Are you Matt Green?
A Who?.... Pay me enough $$$$ and I can be anybody lol :p

About Me:
What's to tell... Married to a beautiful lady for 28 years, 3 kids to be proud of, work as a Store Support Manager where prices are always down down. Had my own finance business, had the cars etc., walked away just before the GFC. Enjoys life, indulges in DanceSport at both social and competitive and Board level
http://www.dancesport.org.au/index.php/tasmania-front-page shows my stuff that I contribute (webmaster).
Love fast cars, a social drink, my tank and ....... !