Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@curly747, I got an email last night -

Due to your ordered item being out of stock, our suppliers have indicated an approximate delay of up to 7-14 working days for stock availability.
I like how they say 'working days' - what they are really saying is 2-3 weeks :)

Based on this, I requested that my order be cancelled, which they did today. I'm not sure they would have cancelled my order if it was only going to be a day or two - good luck and let us know how you go.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
@curly747, I got an email last night -

I like how they say 'working days' - what they are really saying is 2-3 weeks :)

Based on this, I requested that my order be cancelled, which they did today. I'm not sure they would have cancelled my order if it was only going to be a day or two - good luck and let us know how you go.
Sure i will let you know.
I am keen to get it from them because their Sydney store is just a few blocks from where i work. Otherwise i would cancelled a couple of weeks ago.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
@MagicJ The guy who served me seemed a little bemused that i was buying a thermometer so maybe they don't keep much stock on hand at all. The product seems good quality so if you are willing to wait then go for it. I am happy with mine but it did take about 6 weeks to arrive.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
They confirmed that they do currently have stock ...

So, I ordered again and received an email on Friday to confirm that it had been posted :)

It will be interesting to see just how accurate the DS18b20 Temperature Sensors actually are ...

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
They confirmed that they do currently have stock ...

So, I ordered again and received an email on Friday to confirm that it had been posted :)

It will be interesting to see just how accurate the DS18b20 Temperature Sensors actually are ...
You'll probably get a surprise

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thermometer received in one piece - it was actually very well packaged.

I have some more information in another thread, but for anyone reading this ...

This thermometer is guaranteed to 0.3°C. The DS18b20 temperature sensor has an error rate of ±0.5 °C, although it is closer to ±0.25 °C at the temperature range we use it for - so, we have a combined error rate of ±0.75 °C.

In testing, one DS18b20 was 0.45°C over the temperature reported by the thermometer, whilst another one was 0.40°C under the reported temperature - both variances are within the expected tolerances but it is great to have a known reference as I am able to account for the variance within the software of my temperature controller.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Am I the only one who (without really thinking about it) expected the thermometer to float :rolleyes

I was somewhat concerned when I put it in my tank only to watch it sink fairly quickly onto some rocks :banghead

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Am I the only one who (without really thinking about it) expected the thermometer to float :rolleyes

I was somewhat concerned when I put it in my tank only to watch it sink fairly quickly onto some rocks :banghead
Do you still have a thermometer or some glass sticks?

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland

While I wouldn't expect it to float, I would have just let it go out of habit. Thanks for the brain shake. :)

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Wow that was fast. I ordered my thermometer from DigiDirect and three days later it's in my PO Box and I live in lower nowhere. Really well packaged too. All good.

View attachment 54348 View attachment 54347
I've been looking around for an accurate thermometer to finally get a true temp reading.
Mercury thermometers have been banned since 2010 and digital ones vary so much.
I found these on EBay, they are used in the photo development industry and are guaranteed to .3 of a degree.
It seems that's as accurate as I'm going to find that is in our temp range and easy to read.
These units do 13 to 30 which is great.
So now I'll be able to recalibrate my STC 1000 and be way closer than I was before.
They are available from digidirect in Melbourne for $24.
It's called the Paterson Certified Thermometer - 9" PTP363.
@192k

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Being in the salvage industry I come across all sort of weird shit. I have a few lab grade thermometers and I found the super cheap Aliexpress digital thermometers to be all over the damn place. One would type would read high whilst the others would be low. I guess that's what you get for a $1.15 thermometer, lol.