Reef Discussion

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Activated Carbon In Reef Tanks
Ok Guys, firstly, apologies if I'm starting something that already has a thread on this forum.

Peoples thoughts on using activated carbon in reef tanks....... GO!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
reactor is much more efficent if you have a sump use a reactor, if its a small tank just use a mesh bag :)

Damjan

Jan 8, 2013
Melbourne
I run AC all the time. I find that it keeps the water crystal clear and I seem to have a lot less cyano in my sump when running it. Reactor is always better, however I just run it in a mesh bag in my bubble trap. I have tried a few brands and find that the Matrix works best for me.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I don't run it but have heard it's really beneficial. Just don't add/remove all or to much at once

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I'm going to give it a crack, water clarity is a lot more noticeable in my new tank then it was in my nano. See how we go.

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
Kz carbon is the ducks nuts, water clarity is that much better, which I always reckon is a winner as the tank just looks much 'crisper', and after all we all want our tanks to look great right?

Have run it both passively and currently actively. I prefer actively to avoid having to massage it daily. Yes. I'm lazy :p

Reactions: MTG

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Kz carbon is the ducks nuts, water clarity is that much better, which I always reckon is a winner as the tank just looks much 'crisper', and after all we all want our tanks to look great right?

Have run it both passively and currently actively. I prefer actively to avoid having to massage it daily. Yes. I'm lazy :p
my bad of carbon sits under my skimmer. no way thats getting massaged daily :D

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I was complaining in my TJ that my "mille" (SPS) suffered rtn and basically died within 24 hrs. This was my first ever rtn... @vpreef happen to ask if I had recently changed or added carbon. Sure enough a few days before rtn I did change over the carbon and doubled the qty, I just prepared i.e. washed too much (~3.5" in a TLF150 ractor -I did not really think this is a lot in a 4' tank anyway). VPreef also told me he lost a mille due to rtn when he added carbon and it happened again to him. So if you have a SPS mille in your tank beware. Whilst this was going on I did re-order a 5l rowacarb so I still use it however will make sure I only use <2" in a TLF150 reactor. I change it over every 4 weeks however at the end of 4 weeks clarity is no different (flow is just enough to create the carbon suface agitation in the reactor)....... If I had not re ordered carbon I would probably run without it and see if clarrity was effected in say a 2-3 month period which I kind of doubt it would change. I have always used rowacarb.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
That's interesting rob as zeovit highly recommends the use of carbon in sps dedicated tanks (in small quantitys)

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
That's interesting rob as zeovit highly recommends the use of carbon in sps dedicated tanks (in small quantitys)
KZ also say that quantity and flow rate is a major concern when using it in reactors, and that excessive flow with some brands of carbon can cause this..... Doesn't sound like excessive flow or brand with @Rob case :-s

Either way kz say that carbon should be run passively.... But bah. What do they know about reefing? Lol

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
It's very interesting that they say passively very interesting! I have noticed you don't need near as much carbon when using a reactor tho

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
My flow rate would definitely be on the low side and if you have or seen a TLF150 the diameter is very small, however since this issue I also follow the KZ recomendation of soaking carbon in 90 DegC RO for a 24hr period prior to use (I just put some RO in the mircowaver and boil it then soak the carbon in it). I assume the high temp helps to release something maybe in the carbon. The Rowacarbon is quite clean though and generally one rinse would take out any fines.

So I still use it, always have, however am cautious as I had thought you could of never overdose carbon. As I think about the usage, with rowphos you need such a little flow and it removes PO4 so maybe the flow rate through the carbon (if we primarily use it to remove toxins) does not need to be very much. When setting my flow I have only ever set it so I can just see a few grains just moving on the top surface. I know some people set it up like the top surface is boiling...as they are scared it will solidify, I have never had that problem with rowaphos or rowacarbon even with very low flow rates.

With all this talk of "passive" maybe Ill just get a long sock and hang the carbon in the sump and give it a tumble twice a week just to be on the safe side.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I have started using carbon recently and was curious if it will remove the trace elements and other additives added to the tank? I know it will remove medications and such but just thought I would ask...

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
While we are all sharing our experiences here is mine.
I run carbon for 1 day out of 7.
I found that the spots on the glass extreamly stubborn when i use carbon consistantly. By only ising it 1 day out if 7 the glass stays cleaner for longer and wipes clean... No scrubbing.
i have used brands that say 0 phos aswell but my experiences were all the same.

i also have a newish tank and noticed that coraline rapidly started to grow when only using carbon 1 day a week.
I don't change the carbon I just put it beside tank to dry.