Activated Carbon In Reef Tanks

Discussion in 'Additives' started by Elias, Jan 12, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Anton

Anton Member

Ratings:
    +1
    personally i dont use any carbon in my tanks. if i was to use any carbon it would probly be the seachem sea gel which reduces phosphates and polishes the water which will reduce algie growth
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Fishy

Fishy Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
    Just added API carbon pouch, yesterday. Wow big change today from what i thought what was a clear clarity tank.

Today, mirror finish at every angle that i look at the tank.
  3. chimaera

chimaera enjoy the little things

Ratings:
    +3,651
    Australia
    State:
    VIC
    Carbon can work wonders when used correctly!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. alan

alan Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Australia
    i put in a carbon reactor yesterday, within 6-7 hours, the tank was looking great!
  5. JimmyDang

JimmyDang Member

Ratings:
    +456
    Australia
    State:
    New South Whales
    What brand do you guys reckon is cost effective? So a bang for buck in terms of quality and quantity? Also...how much at a time should be used? I know you should change it every 3-4 weeks..
  6. macca_75

macca_75 Member

Ratings:
    +1,202
    Australia
    State:
    Vic
    I use RowaCarbon and have been happy with the results.

I generally get 3 "batches" out of a 1000ml container. I have it sitting in a filter sock which is clamped to the sump near the return pump. Every 2 weeks I massage the back. After 3 massages (6 weeks) I replace it.
  7. Fishy

Fishy Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
    Did someone say massage? :rolleyes
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Member

Ratings:
    +811
    Australia
    State:
    SA
    I use K&J Aquatics carbon, it works very well and extremely cost effective too
  9. aaron47

aaron47 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Australia
    I have herd activated carbon causes lateral line diease and hole in the head disease ... i run activated carbon in a two little fish reactor but i also have mineral mud to stop and remove the possibility of the two formentioned problems any thoughts as i have only just found this out myself
  10. Joele

Joele Member

Ratings:
    +145
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    the aluminum oxide in that worries me vs the alternative (GFO), better safe than sorry, I hope :-/

From Randy Holmes-Farley - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/7/chemistry
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Agent M

Agent M Member

Ratings:
    +2,797
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    How much carbon should I use in my tank passively? Its 180 litres or so. I have found conflicting amounts online so far from 1/2 cup to 1 cup to 'as much as you like'.
  12. Oceanarium

Oceanarium Member

Ratings:
    +561
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    You certainly notice clearer crisp water, when using it. I found my best results running the reactor 2 hours /day the carbon lasts longer.

Lately I have phased it out of all my tanks, I feel its perhaps removing as much good as it is the bad. Its not selective in what it does and does not remove. Sure the water in not so crisp, but I am noticing increased growth in sponges clams etc.

One animals waste is another's dinner, I am using a more holistic approach sponges, micro fauna, accidians etc.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  13. Ian G

Ian G Member

Ratings:
    +534
    Australia
    I usually run it. @K&J Aquatics has some really good stuff, just make sure you use fine mesh if using a bag.
  14. Oceanarium

Oceanarium Member

Ratings:
    +561
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Since xmas i have been using the Zeo snow to my tanks, the snow is good at removing the yellowing compounds. Tanks look like there were while I was using the carbon 2 meters long clear from yellow color viewing through the end panels along the full length of the DT.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Rob

Rob Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    I would not use carbon on an SPS tank although I am by no means a SPS guru, i have no conclusive evidendce however feel when i lost SPS it seemed to align with a carbon change and happened more than twice.
  16. Ben S

Ben S Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Australia
    State:
    Victoria
    The benefit of running Carbon is that it removes the yellowing in the water, whilst also improve water clarity which allows better light penetration for the corals.
    It's also useful for removing toxins from softies etc. It's benefit far outweigh the negatives in my eyes. However as is usually the case in this game, little is better than a lot and using too much carbon can have negative effects.

Ben
  17. Ian3145

Ian3145 Member

Ratings:
    +366
    Australia
    State:
    Vic
    How do you mean? Assuming you're using a good quality carbon that isn't dumping phosphates into your system, how does volume matter? Carbon with just filter out what carbon filters out I would have thought, but like most things I'm happy to learn something new.
  18. BlueBolts

BlueBolts Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Does using carbon during a cycle, affect the process. Using the redsea mature pro plan for the cycling, and just wondered ... Thanks
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  19. Ian3145

Ian3145 Member

Ratings:
    +366
    Australia
    State:
    Vic
    Carbon won't hurt the cycle. :)

No need to add anything to speed up the cycle. Chemists have demonstrated that anything you can buy in a bottle can NOT add good bacteria to the tank, simply by virtue of the fact that bacteria (in thriving conditions) will multiply at such an exponential rate that if it were possible to keep them in a bottle, the bottle would explode.

As my mate's son (biologist) put it " anything you can put in from a bottle to assist cycling, equates to dosing with bottled pollution - and why would you add pollution?" In his view you may as well just drop a small piece of prawn or fish in there if you are determined to pollute your tank.

It comes back to balance, not how fast you can create organics for bacteria to consume. Good article by Eric Bourneman on the cycle - CLICK HERE.
  20. BlueBolts

BlueBolts Member

Ratings:
    +219
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Thanks for the confirmation on the carbon.....and the link to the article.....great read :)