Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Ok I will ask this one ......I put chemo- pure elite in tank a couple of weeks ago and now my blue tang has HLLE have anyone one else had problems with this?

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I mix 1 part carbon to 7 parts Rowaphos* then run it in a small reactor. I know the AC will exhaust before the Phosphate media but that doesn't bother me. Having said that, I've only been trialling this method for a month so time will tell.

One thing I have noticed already is that the Rowaphos tumbles much better with carbon mixed in and doesn't seem to compact as quickly as it used to.

* Just an arbitrary number to start with.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Carbon and Rowa need to be in separate reactors.

Carbon should be tumbled much harder than Rowa.

Carbon should be seen to be moving around. Rowa should have just enough flow to bubble the surface - any more and you will crush it to powder.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
For the AC Lab Grade carbon I use they recommend avoiding tumbling at all. Besides tumbling most carbon grinds fines from it. The newer AC Carb fluidised chambers just starting to come out don't use flow through the carbon at all, it runs over and around it while the carbon is held firmly in place in it's own chamber, so it cannot move.

Note these are only for carbon, not GFO etc.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Ok guys been told to remove chemo-pure elite and use carbon, one that is suitable for my tank, which brand would you recommend

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Why do you have to remove one to run the other? I run both, it's called redundancy.
I am not sure really , can you please have a look at my thread, I have up at the moment called Montipora, also did you see i put up a list of my fish and what i ffed for you to look at please

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I am not sure really , can you please have a look at my thread, I have up at the moment called Montipora, also did you see i put up a list of my fish and what i ffed for you to look at please
No I didn't see that. I didn't get a notification which is strange. I'll take a look. :)