Tank Journal Archive

Additional Lights
Hi Everyone,

I need to ad another row of lights to the front of the tank, the main lights over the tank at the moment are Maxspect Razors. These are great for the corals and the back of the tank however we don't have anything over the front and the tank is just too wide for the current lights.

I've read and researched and put this off as long as I can. I am looking at the Fluvial Sea Marina and Reef lights. I don't need them to grow anything, I just need some extra light along the front and we have at best a few morphs. Has anyone used these lights, or have any kind of suggestions? Because we won't be growing anything in this area I want to avoid spending the $1000s we did on the back lights.

I've attached a few photos of the newest members of the tank. I have always wanted angels and i've always been concerned they will eat my corals ... so far so good. The Blue Ring Angel has been in the tank for about 8 weeks with no concerns so far and the Majestic has just come out of the QT tank (the photo and video are from QT) however he is out and eating without seeming to care about the corals.

Attachments

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Those are beautiful angels mate and well done for putting them in the tank. If they start picking at corals it means they're not getting enough to eat. My one Red Sea Emporer loves Xenia so it gets its own stalk once a week.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Stunning animals, I have always wanted to get an angel but always been to scared cause of the corals.
Did you put corals into your QT tank to ensure they wouldn't touch them?
how did you know they wouldn't touch them.

Stunning animals, I have always wanted to get an angel but always been to scared cause of the corals.
Did you put corals into your QT tank to ensure they wouldn't touch them?
how did you know they wouldn't touch them.
I didn't and the guys at the LFS were against me buying the angels. However I have always wanted them and it got to the point where I would have to put in a second FO tank and I don't know how I would talk my husband into a second tank!

I keep the tank well feed and they have a lot of rock (and I mean a lot) to graze on. I grow macro algae in my QT and sump and I use this to feed the tank as well.

I just had to give it ago and many people seem to keep them in reef tanks without any real issues, I'm not out of the woods yet however at this stage they don't seem even remotely interested in corals.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
As long as you feed them, they shouldn't eat your corals. The only things they seem to like with any regularity is clam mantles, so if you want to keep clams, don't put an angel in the tank. I've tried feeding them clams and it seems to curb their mantle nipping, but they'll still do it.
Angels, for the most part, like sponges more than they like corals. There are always exceptions like most of the Centropyge angels other than African Flamebacks, Resplndent, Atlantic pygmy complex, some Coral Beauties and the Pacific Yellow tail which are generally safe. I'd trust a large angel before I'd trust a dwarf.