Reef Discussion

MarcusT

Mar 24, 2013
Af Reef Salt - High Ca/mg
Hello,

I've experienced issues with the AF Reef salt, perturbed enough to post. Hopefully I can get some consensus or opinions. It concerns the latest batch in Australia (Lot 432).

Background:
I've been using AF Reef Salt since 29 Sep 2106 and AF Balling since 15 Oct 2016. I keep a very detailed log on Aquatic log.

I've had issues with high Ca and Mg since mid Dec 2016 and again late Jan 2017 coinciding with the new batch of AF Reef salt arriving in Australia. A fellow reefer and tanks maintenance guy is having similar problems.

This is the second time I've tested my ASW after 100L mix and have tested 2 small batches (10L) this week. Parameters are:

Salinity 1.025 SG, Alk 8.1-8.3 dKH, Ca 540-580 ppm, Mg 1480-1560 ppm.

There is a discrepancy between the data sheet and 'real world' water testing, and I accept that test kit have an error rate. However, such a large difference (repeated testing) is hard to blame on test kit error.

Stability is the key with SPS.

As usual, I buy 20kg buckets mix the salt well by removing the plastic bag and rolling it around, then I empty it in the bucket. I always stir my salt before mixing.

Any other reefers experiencing issues with this batch (or other batches)

Cheers
M

ai941.photobucket.com_albums_ad257_marcusbptan_9B57E58C_444C_413B_8932_8E4FE346AB3A_zpsxweblyul.jpg

Last edited:

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Those levels you tested are very much acceptable IMO.
Very unlikely they would do any harm to your project.
It would be frustrating trying to tweak your tanks parameters all the time in chasing stability but that would be part of keeping a SPS tank.

MarcusT

Mar 24, 2013
thanks @slin1977

I've had some unexplained RTN. I usually keep my Alk 7 and Ca 440 Max ... its frustrating to chase parameters if they are that high.

No detrimental effect from such a high Ca???

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
hi Marcus.
I thought the golden rule is to find the correct balance of parameters.
If you're ALK is 7-8
Then your Cal should be about 400-440. And Mag should be about 1280-1400.
Randy home's posted an article years ago about the correct balance. I will see if I can find it.
P.s Thank you for the post. My lfs almost convinced me to use this meathead on my new build. However I decided to go the Devil I know and stick to zeovit.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
My LFS offered me a 5 kg sample to try out for free. The only reason I declined was that correct me if I am wrong , these salts are designed to be used with the balling methodology -

MarcusT

Mar 24, 2013
Hello,
@RobbieMVFC
I've always been very OCD with my parameters keeping them in range (looks like it as per Randy's). I have only tried the Balling which initially was great. I had to stop it due to the imbalance in the AF Reef Salt mix. I'm back to 'home brew' ALk/Ca/Mg for now.
I have not used any other AF stuff except for the Balling and Reef Salt. No more for me.

@slin1977
The Reef salt can be used as 'stand alone'.

Back to the LFS today, and was talking to another reefer who had a similar problem. I've swapped the AF for RS Blue now.
Once parameters settle, I'll restart the AF balling.

Cheers
M

MarcusT

Mar 24, 2013
@slin1977
Yes .. salinity double checked with digital and 'visual' ATC. my target range is always 1.024 to 1.025. I've learnt that the hard way :)