Tank Journal Archive

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
Ajk's Red Sea Max S500
Hello all,

I am not new to this hobby, but fairly new to this forum. I have been keeping marine fish for approximately 5 years in a sumpless three foot tank. Which I started, to see if I could keep a marine tank.

As the addiction continued, I decided to upgrade this year.

About the aquarium......

It is a Red Sea Max S500, total volume is 500 litres (450 display and 50 sump).

I wanted to recreate a small reef in my family room, we are avid SCUBA divers and wanted to bring the coral reef into our home.

The tank is stock Red Sea, with stock Red Sea Reef Spec tubes (10 by 54 watt). 5 daylight and 5 actinic. Photo Period is 11:30 am the first lights turn on, 12 pm the complete lighting system is on and 9 pm the main bank turns off and the centre bank off at 9:30 pm. Moonlights run whilst all lights are off.
Using the stock Red Sea CSkim, which I have found to be not troublesome at all. Easy to tune and it is plumbed into a 5 litre plastic jerry can. Which reduces the amount of dismantling required to clean the built in collection cup.
Chiller heater is a Teco TC15 chiller/heater.
Using Seachem Matrix carbon and Purigen in the media rack. And a Two little fishies 150 phosban reactor with Phosban, supplied by a small Eheim pump in the sump. As well as two Marine Pure Plates.
Rock was approximately 45 kg of Caribsea South Seas Base rock. No live rock used. And Caribsea Fiji Pink live sand.
One Ecotech MP40Wes as an additional pump with battery back up.
Kamoer 4 channel dosing pump mounted on a custom rack, under the power centre. Only using three channels, to dose Red Sea reef foundation Ca, KH and Mg.
Aquarium has been seeded for just over 6 months. Slowly stocked over a 5 month period. All corals and fish looking good.
I perform 25 litre water changes one a week, using Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

Tank parameters are as follows.
Salinity 1.026 (Red Sea Refractometer)
Temp 27.5 (with a one degree dead band, heats at 26.5 and chills at 28.5)
pH 8.3 (American Marine pH probe)
KH 8.2 (Hanna)
Calcium 460 (Hanna)
Magnesium 1350 (Red Sea)
Nitrate 2ppm (Red Sea)
Phosphate 0.04 (Hanna)

Cheers

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
Please take measures of the light unit folded up for me?
120cm long?
10cm thick?
And 50cm wide???

Thanks abd means alot
Hi,

Be happy to take some measurements.

But I'm not quite sure what you are after?

Cheers

Trentwalsh

Dec 21, 2013
Werribee
Hi,

Be happy to take some measurements.

But I'm not quite sure what you are after?

Cheers
I mean. The light unit folds up at the front and back yeah for maintence and stuff??
If im correct?
When folded up and compact.... Whats it measure. Hoping to get one shipped, but cannot for the life of me.
Find measurements of it...)the light unit)
Cheers!!!!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I mean. The light unit folds up at the front and back yeah for maintence and stuff??
If im correct?
When folded up and compact.... Whats it measure. Hoping to get one shipped, but cannot for the life of me.
Find measurements of it...)the light unit)
Cheers!!!!
Trent - the RSM T5 unit actually breaks down into three parts, but you would not want to ship it. It weighs a freaking HEAP. As the unit has no fans, it is just solid aluminium

ajkdark

Aug 17, 2014
Hi Trent,

Sam is correct.

The light is 124 x 20 x 8 cm. That is the three separate light units. They assemble together.

They are very heavy, as they are solid aluminium.

Would be expensive to ship.

Cheers