New To Reefing

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Algae Hell, 1 Week In And Already Algal Blooms!! Help!!!!
Hey All,

I have a 63 litre tank at home, wish i got last week along with 3.5kg live rock, coral sand. Its been cycling for a week, and sitting at about 24 C (75.2 F)

However, I woke up this morning and noticed some algae on my live rock long with some small air bubbles, i get home this afternoon and the algae has grown more!

What is going on, guys?!

What do i need to do, what do i need to add, attached are photos!

Please help! One week in and already have algal blooms!! Help! Any advice will be much appreciated! :-)

Attachments

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
It's diatoms. Google it. Heaps of info. All part of cycling process. Uglies happen for quite a few months yet :)

gtrxu1

Jun 25, 2012
Happening on my new tank as well, might be time for some clean up crew if you're params are good. I added some nass snails and 3 trochus a couple weeks ago and it's almost cleared up now.

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Its all normal don't stress, its just apart of the cycle that happens when your tank is new.

Keep checking all the basics and keep them stable add clean up crew and just keep skimming.

look into carbon dosing to keep nutrients low. red sea no pox is great :)
g1387328471220403907.jpg.png

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Can I ask please because I've never cycled a tank before. Do you really add cuc on week one ?
I think it all depends on how the parameters are going. My Yasha cycled quite quickly and I had a strong algae growth. From memory I had some CUC in there within a couple of weeks.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Tank cycling is a fun time, just keep an eye on your tank and enjoy the changes it goes through. The discovery of new and blossoming life after it is pretty exciting for a fish nerd.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Tank cycling is a fun time, just keep an eye on your tank and enjoy the changes it goes through. The discovery of new and blossoming life after it is pretty exciting for a fish nerd.
Agreed.... also... where the hell have you been?

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Dear All!

Thank you so much for the amount of responses and the reassurance!

I kept the time the light was on for shorter for a week and it seemed to help it and cleared it up along with a water change!

BUT ITS BACK WITH A DAMN VENGEANCE!

ON THE GLASS THIS TIME. NOT JUST ON THE SAND.

IS THIS TOO NORMAL AND OKAY!?!?!

I seemed like it flared up today after i did a water change last night!

Thanks again!! :)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Dear All!

Thank you so much for the amount of responses and the reassurance!

I kept the time the light was on for shorter for a week and it seemed to help it and cleared it up along with a water change!

BUT ITS BACK WITH A DAMN VENGEANCE!

ON THE GLASS THIS TIME. NOT JUST ON THE SAND.

IS THIS TOO NORMAL AND OKAY!?!?!

I seemed like it flared up today after i did a water change last night!

Thanks again!! :)
its normal, but if you want to get on top of nutrients long term look at nutrient control options.
Like rowa phos and carbon dosing or if you want to go down the sps path go zeovit :)

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
I did a partial water change to suck up some of the algae on the ground.

But it's still growing well.... Good for it! NOT FOR ME. haha.

So. Just out of interest. What can I do to slow the growth without putting at risk the current health state of my tank! E.g light hours, chemicals? And so on!!

Thanks all!! Have a great weekend!!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Your tank is new and cycling, you are going to get a few different types of algae over the coming months. All completely normal.

If you keep up your normal weekly water changes you will be fine.