Reef Discussion

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
Photos taken with lights on so Zoas are out which might make it easier see. Don't think it looks like an animal...

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
How bizarre!

They way they stand off the rock at different angles...

Some strange little macro algae???

Have you managed to pick any off the rock and squash them?

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
How bizarre!

Nah not yet....thats today's plan...im pretty stumped at....they are literally all over the lower part of my tank. Glass, sand, rock. But nothing higher than about 2inches above the bottom

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
How bizarre!

So tried to squish....didn't really feel squishable. Felt hard

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Nah not yet....thats today's plan...im pretty stumped at....they are literally all over the lower part of my tank. Glass, sand, rock. But nothing higher than about 2inches above the bottom
I wonder if they've come from the sand?

I also wonder if they are some kind of shellfish.

They sort of look familiar for some reason, but I can't recall having them in my tank or having to scrape them off anything I have bought. I'm thinking they look like little barnacles I've found on items when snorkelling.

You could take a piece of rock that has a number of them on it, place it in an isolated part of the tank or in a fish bag and see if any moves over a few days. I have mussels/clams in my tank that move about every now and then and attach themselves in different places. I wonder if your critters would do this at night too.

I would definitely take a few and smash them with a hammer and see what happens.

Also, I wonder if they could be a type of sponge? I get heaps of those little white pineapple sponges and they tend to multiple rapidly at different times.

So, 1. keep a small rock with them in observation to see if they are mobile - count them and monitor daily. Take photos of nessary.

2. Smash some and see what happens. Hopefully there'll be she'll bits and soft body bits.