Reef Discussion

Algae Killer?
I have a massive outbreak of green hair algae (GHA) and by massive I mean of biblical proportion. Even my snails have it all over them (more of that on my TJ).

As I have to move my tank anyway and I'm setting up a holding tank for a few months, here's what I would like to do:
  • Find a dip that will kill algae but not live rock, to use before I transfer rock etc to holding tank.
  • Find a dip for corals that won't hurt coral but will kill the algae.
These may well be the same product but I'm happy to buy two. Please no responses here regarding cause & prevention, you are most welcome to do so in my TJ where I have mentioned possible cause etc. Here I'm simply looking for product / options please.

Ian G

Last edited:

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Not a dip, but I've used API's Algaefix Marine before in an intentionally higher than usual nutrient system that had the anticipated algae outbreaks. Not really a fan of algaecides, but this stuff can help kill off algae if you're in a pinch. Not super quick, but after a couple of days will help it start to die off if dosed properly. I've never entirely cleaned up a tank with the stuff (I've never actually tried to), but it might help you get it under control while you deal with whatever causes.

Not a dip, but I've used API's Algaefix Marine before in an intentionally higher than usual nutrient system that had the anticipated algae outbreaks. Not really a fan of algaecides, but this stuff can help kill off algae if you're in a pinch. Not super quick, but after a couple of days will help it start to die off if dosed properly. I've never entirely cleaned up a tank with the stuff (I've never actually tried to), but it might help you get it under control while you deal with whatever causes.
Hi,
I'm treating the tank with that at the moment using the recommended dosage every 3 days as per instructions. It's only been 9 days and they say it takes weeks. Normally I'm not a fan of potions either but this outbreak is insane. I'm even thinking about trying it as a dip at about triple the suggested concentration. But that is both a last resort and experimental so fraught with hazards.:dead

I just read on a US forum that dipping live rock in a 50/50 solution of tank water & Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) for 3 minutes will kill algae but save the rock. Seems harsh but it may be worth a try.:eek

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Hi,
I'm treating the tank with that at the moment using the recommended dosage every 3 days as per instructions. It's only been 9 days and they say it takes weeks. Normally I'm not a fan of potions either but this outbreak is insane. I'm even thinking about trying it as a dip at about triple the suggested concentration. But that is both a last resort and experimental so fraught with hazards.:dead
Yeah can't say I was prone to dosing it as per the instructions. I was doing daily doses, and cleaned up the worst of what I was seeing in a week or so. I wouldn't guarantee that won't cause other issues. The system I was doing that in didn't have fish, had limited corals, and wouldn't have caused me any major stress if it caused issues. Tanks aren't exactly in short supply around here (though space is :P )

I've heard the peroxide option before - could be worth investigating to clean up your LR. Obviously the corals will need something less toxic - perhaps increased dosage of the algaecide before moving to the holding tank? It might not get rid of it completely, but coupled with dealing with the actual cause (whatever that turns out being), it might get you back to a point that you can get it back under control... and down to a level where the critters can keep their house clean.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
You know what I found got rid if my gha...time. Nothing else no need for magic potions (I know rich coming from a zeohead) it's just part of tanks cycle

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I'm having a few dramas with GHA at the moment too, no measurable nutrients in the water, and weekly 40% water changes using ASW with RODI. it's doing my head in. Tanks 15 months old