Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Algae
Hi there,

Recently some algae has appeared on my live rock. It is like a string of slime and looks brown. When you go near it, there are small red hairs coming off it. It looks yuk and I want it gone. What is this algae and how to I get rid of it?

Thanks

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
hey peter, you tank is still going through its cycling stages. give it time and it will correct itself. are you using RO water for fresh water topups this can help prevent unwanted algae.

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I can't. I don't own a camera that can take macro shots that good.

Attachments

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Hair Algae it seems. do you have any snails? a bicolour blenny wouldnt be to big for your size tank and it would eat it

Snik66

Jul 13, 2011
Tasmania
i heard nothing much will eat hair algue removing it by hand as much as u can is the best option whats your posphate sitting at atm?

dont quote me on that i might be wrong

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Is this really bad for the tank? Or is it just that it looks bad?
In the short term it is not 'bad' for the tank, only a bit unsightly :(. If it got really bad then it can start to smother your corals and they may die. You will find that as your tank cycles the algae will utilise all the available food in the water and start to decline.

You are not alone - most new setups will go through a stage like this.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I had the same algae when I first set my tank up, thought it was going to be a big problem, in the end it settled itself down and eventually left, there is still a little remnants of it on some base rock I used to build up the reef. after it went through the brown algae cycle as soon as it cleared up parameters went right into check. I then had this weird purple/black algae that looked like a fugus spur coming from up out of the sand. this cleared aswell and now algae isnt an issue in my tank as my levels of nitrate and nitrites are 0 and 0.1mg/l (if that).

should clear up champ!