Reef Discussion

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Alkilinity (dkh) Test Kit?
My current test kit is just about done and I'm thinking of trying something new. I was considering a Hanna HC checker but they (all HC checkers) have increased in price by almost 45% in the last year. Now around $100 a crack, they're still under $50 in the US so it can't all be blamed on the exchange rate.

Anyway what does everyone else use for alk testing? Are you happy with it and how often do you test please?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I find the Hanna Alkalinity tester is one of the better Hanna testers - quick and easy to use. Highly recommended.

I didn't realise that they had gone up in price - the Aussie dollar did fall around 40% from its highs, although it has rebounded a bit over the last few months.

There are often some second hand ones available ...

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Anyway what does everyone else use for alk testing? Are you happy with it and how often do you test please?
As recommended by fellow reefers in the forum, I found Salifert to be quite good. The tank looks good ... growth seems to be happening ... so I refuse to compare it with other test kits (or Hanna egg checker) :D

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
same here - have the Hanna and love it. Being colourblind digital is 1000% better than any other test for me, but the Hanna Alk checker with 1 reagent is so quick it's silly.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
+1 with the hanna being good, that and the phosphate are the only ones worth bothing with in their range (IMO)

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I'm really happy with the Red Sea test kit. However, although they cop a lot of bagging, I think the API isn't bad for KH. I think we mostly want to know if we are hitting 8,9 or 10 right?