Reef Discussion

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
All In One Pellets
thinking of doing this after peoples honest advise on them areas such as ease of use any areas that may cause problems. i am currently running nitra and phos in 2 reef occy reactors was thinking 1 with bio and 1 with carbon. tank volume is 600 ltrs including sump.

best brands to use as well.

cheers

I have been using it for over two months. I ordered from fish street.

Running it in a JNS Alpha 2 reactor.

Before i started using the dual pellets i was only running, NPX bio pellets to reduce Nitrates and then using Rowaphos to remove Phosphates, i realised that the rowaphos had some down sides though. One was that when you flushed it you pretty much wash one third of your product down the drain... if you don't you will have a muddy brown river/Ocean scene in you beloved display tank. Two, its not cheap. All the more reason not to waste it. Third, i purchased a bubble mangus fluidised reactor with small footprint thinking it has its own power head so should work great... turns out the flow can not be adequately reduced and this created several other issues. Rowaphos is a powder pretty much so its a nightmare to keep in a reactor...

Nitrate control was with NPX pellets and they are still in there but almost all gone. I have both NPX and Dual pellets in the same reactor. So a total of 250g Dual and about 30-50g NPX

When i moved my system into a new tank i had Phos levels of over 2.5 (this was because I had depleted my rowaphos and phos was on the rise again, i simply could not justify the money for the same problems stated above)... I ran Dual pellets and slowly increased by 50g every two weeks. Rowaphos was removed as soon as i started the Dual pellets. After eight weeks i measured Phos and got 0.09 on a hannah tester.

So i believe this product works fantastic and is a good option if you can afford it. Its not crazy expensive but i do think once i see how long it runs for i might be able to make a better call on its value.

I am however considering staying with NPX as i still have some and trying Aqua medic Antiphos that i recently got from a rep at a furs and fins night a while ago. At $27 for 500g and it can last for 5-6 months on average 400L tanks i think its a better option.

In saying that i am yet to see how long the dual pellets go for. They might end up lasting long enough for me to justify the price.

Hope this helps...