Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Ammonia
Hi Please help I have high ammonia in my tank,1.00ppm, so scared I will loose everything,I have been changing water 100 lts a day for the last 4 days and it is not going down, what can I do?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
yeah it is 10 months old and was fully cycled, my tang had white spot and was told to use tri suplur, think that my have done it

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
I know someone who used to treat his reef with tri sulfur though i suppose it would also depend on dose as to the effects on invertebrates.

Possibly it has started a cycle of some die off. What you are doing is the best cause of action for now large and frequent water changes. Not sure what your tank capacity is relative to the 100ltrs but I would look at 50% at least water changes till the levels come down.

Also look for obvious signs of die off like white film or spider web on any parts of the rocks it could be some big sponge or sea squirt etc that could be dead and best removed.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Ammonia can be pretty bad for fish so you really need to do something fairly quickly.

You do need to find the cause but, for now, you need to reduce the ammonia levels. Water changes are good (providing that is not the cause of the problem) but it appears not to be working.

I don't often recommend a magic potion, but in this situation I would drop into your local LFS and purchase some Seachem Prime - this will convert the ammonia into a safe, non toxic, form. I use Seachem Safe, which is a concentrated powdered form of Prime in my fish larval tanks and it works well.

To quote from this post http://thereefuge.com/threads/ich.5312/

But, TriSulfa is an antibiotic that is used for the treatment of conditions that are caused by bacteria and will have no effect on Cryptocaryon, which is a protozoan. By using this product you are likely to have severely affected the beneficial bacteria within the tank which will take some time to recover.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I know someone who used to treat his reef with tri sulfur though i suppose it would also depend on dose as to the effects on invertebrates.

Possibly it has started a cycle of some die off. What you are doing is the best cause of action for now large and frequent water changes. Not sure what your tank capacity is relative to the 100ltrs but I would look at 50% at least water changes till the levels come down.

Also look for obvious signs of die off like white film or spider web on any parts of the rocks it could be some big sponge or sea squirt etc that could be dead and best removed.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
The tank is 400lts, I have lots of corals and clam and anemones , not to mention the fish, I am really worried

E

ezza

I was going to suggest seachem prime too. At least you can detoxify the ammonia first and then work on getting the levels down. You can buy various poly filter pads at pet and aquarium shops, some are specifically designed to free out ammonia. Putting some in the top of your overflow or under the pipe taking water to your sump would help to remove some of the toxins. It's something I do occasionally to remove debris if my phos rises.

Btw, I doubt it's the tri-sulpha increasing your ammonia. It's a very safe product, I've used it to treat white spot, it doesn't harm the tank- you can remove the extraneous product by turning your skimmer on or running carbon.

Have you still got the two Aqua One skimmers going in your sump? I would argue that you are simply not removing nutrients at appropriate levels from the system as a result of the ineffective skimmers.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I was going to suggest seachem prime too. At least you can detoxify the ammonia first and then work on getting the levels down. You can buy various poly filter pads at pet and aquarium shops, some are specifically designed to free out ammonia. Putting some in the top of your overflow or under the pipe taking water to your sump would help to remove some of the toxins. It's something I do occasionally to remove debris if my phos rises.

Btw, I doubt it's the tri-sulpha increasing your ammonia. It's a very safe product, I've used it to treat white spot, it doesn't harm the tank- you can remove the extraneous product by turning your skimmer on or running carbon.

Have you still got the two Aqua One skimmers going in your sump? I would argue that you are simply not removing nutrients at appropriate levels from the system as a result of the ineffective skimmers.
no I have have a Aqua care turbo 1000 blue now, I put API ammo lock in this morning should i wait to add the prime?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015

Without side-tracking this thread, or maybe if someone can start a new one on this topic, I would like more info about the "white film or spider web" quoted above as think I have seen some of this in my tank. Oceanarium, can you please elaborate?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Without side-tracking this thread, or maybe if someone can start a new one on this topic, I would like more info about the "white film or spider web" quoted above as think I have seen some of this in my tank. Oceanarium, can you please elaborate?
You see it when there has been die off of beneficial bacteria on the live rock. IME it smells like rotten eggs and the water may also go milky. I had it happen to some live rock in a bucket and I just couldn't reverse the process and save the rock.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Do you know what is causing the ammonia?
Like Pete said, try to find the source. Hopefully you can find something that has died that can be removed. Otherwise you could be experiencing a tank crash which is the bacteria in your tank dying off.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I know SW is different but Trisulphar can kill good bacteria. I used it in freshwater tank when lfs told me it would be fine. With just 2 doses I had a massive mini cycle. I strongly suggest running some carbon and removing what's left from you system. Did the lfs know you had a SW tank because this is generally used for freshwater only ? Seachem prime will help sort it. Ammo lock only locks ammonia, nitrites & nitrates can still be damaging. Seachem prime with detoxify all three. But you must use every 24 hrs and redose as it actually expires out of the system. Good luck & keep us all informed. :).

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I agree with the advice to look everywhere to find the cause. There must be something dead or dying in there.
no there is nothing dead in my tank, it was perfect before the tri sulphur , i have thousands of dollars of corals and clams in there and nearly a year of work][really worried now, did water change again 150lts added prime and stability, is there anything else i can do to help them, can not fail at this 2