Reef Discussion

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Just keep using prime everyday. It will detoxify the ammonia and also nitrite if my memory is correct. Your tanks bacteria will catch up eventually.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Just keep using prime everyday. It will detoxify the ammonia and also nitrite if my memory is correct. Your tanks bacteria will catch up eventually.
ammonia is 2 and nitrite 0.25 today, a couple of snails are dead so far

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Susan, if you think your fish are at risk I would be inclined to transfer all of the live rock into a spacious tub with good circulation and heating and do a large water change on the main tank so the fish and coral are in clean water again. The rock can finish cycling in the tub or barrel.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Susan, if you think your fish are at risk I would be inclined to transfer all of the live rock into a spacious tub with good circulation and heating and do a large water change on the main tank so the fish and coral are in clean water again. The rock can finish cycling in the tub or barrel.
if no more improvement today I will,ammonia now is 0.50 and nitrite still 0.25, I think I am getting there
Are you double dosing prime as per tire directions for " bad case " of ammonia ?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Are you double dosing prime as per tire directions for " bad case " of ammonia ?
yeah double prime and still using the stability, The person that told me to use the tri sulphur said no way that would do this 2 my tank but I can not think of anything else it would be

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Did exactly the same thing in my freshwater tank. A SW is even more delicate. He's just covering his arse is all. :(

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
From memory ammonia will still test positive after prime treatment until removed by water changes. It might say 4ppm but will not be effecting your fish. Keep doing your water changes and adding as recommended prime etc. Take deep breaths!

Remove fish into a QT tank if the numbers start indicating a crash (rising again fast past what prime can handle). Corals into a separate tub. Only do this if you absolutely need to.

I think she's handled this like a pro so far - it's not an easy task with so many $$ riding on cool calm and collected

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
From memory ammonia will still test positive after prime treatment until removed by water changes. It might say 4ppm but will not be effecting your fish. Keep doing your water changes and adding as recommended prime etc. Take deep breaths!

Remove fish into a QT tank if the numbers start indicating a crash (rising again fast past what prime can handle). Corals into a separate tub. Only do this if you absolutely need to.

I think she's handled this like a pro so far - it's not an easy task with so many $$ riding on cool calm and collected
Thanks, I have got a lot of money in the tank but it is more than that, I started this hobby as therapy after I tried to save my son so hard but he died then my little dog which was like my hairy little son died after months and near $10,000 trying to save him, I don't want to keep fighting life and death battles and losing, I must not lose again, everyone on here has been so very helpful, wonderful kind people, I will keep fighting

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I've been in the hobby for around 10 years now and life and death have always been a part of it. We do our best to keep these fish in unnatural environments but sometimes things go wrong and it's a really sad thing. To remain in this hobby I think it's important to be able to pick yourself back up after hard times and try to figure out what you've learned that you can use to make yourself a better fish and coral keeper. Caring so much is a large part of that Susan and you have that in spades so try not to be too hard on yourself.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I've been in the hobby for around 10 years now and life and death have always been a part of it. We do our best to keep these fish in unnatural environments but sometimes things go wrong and it's a really sad thing. To remain in this hobby I think it's important to be able to pick yourself back up after hard times and try to figure out what you've learned that you can use to make yourself a better fish and coral keeper. Caring so much is a large part of that Susan and you have that in spades so try not to be too hard on yourself.
ammonia 0.25 and nitrites 0.25 but blue tang has 4 white spots

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
What's your salinity at currently? You can lower it a little to provide some stress relief for the fish. I would suggest a specific gravity of 1.023. I keep mine at that level permanently.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
What's your salinity at currently? You can lower it a little to provide some stress relief for the fish. I would suggest a specific gravity of 1.023. I keep mine at that level permanently.
1.022, I read somewhere on here about someone using garlic for treating white spot, do you know how to use and how much

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
All garlic does is boost the immune system. Same with ginger - it increases the slime coat on the fish in the hope it may help fend off pests.

The best way to get rid of ich for good is the Tank Transfer Method. Its a pain in the bum to do but really works. Once you are through this patch and have had a chance to catch your breath, maybe take a look at this option.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
All garlic does is boost the immune system. Same with ginger - it increases the slime coat on the fish in the hope it may help fend off pests.

The best way to get rid of ich for good is the Tank Transfer Method. Its a pain in the bum to do but really works. Once you are through this patch and have had a chance to catch your breath, maybe take a look at this option.
thanks, The fun will be chasing his around the tank, I have so much rock in there and corals and clams and anemones

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
thanks, The fun will be chasing his around the tank, I have so much rock in there and corals and clams and anemones
You can try some easier ways to catch him before having to dismantle things. When you are ready create a thread and we can all post suggestions. I find confining them to a section of the tank using a barrier the easiest. Then you have a much smaller area with hopefully no hiding places to net them out of.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Prime will also help increase his slime coat. Although in Australia now that part of the label has to be covered up. At least ammonia etc is improving ! Fingers crossed !