Tank Journal Archive

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
An Overdue Review - Ending The Year On A High.
Firstly, Thank you to all of your that have offered your advice and opinions on my tank since I started back in May. The advice I have received has helped guide me through this challenging and rewarding hobby - it has been indispensable advice - Thank you!

My last review was in October. By memory the review followed the death of our six line wrasse only 6 days after we bought her home.

Following on from that, the LFS was great - he supplied a new six liner free of charge and he has been going very well since. He doesn't seem to graze on the rock as much as the previous one did, but he has a voracious appetite for our pellets, which is great! Initially there were some problem between the male clown and the wrasse, but once the clown learnt that the wrasse would knock for six, he has since backed off!

A month or two ago, I posted asking peoples opinions on getting a BTA for my tank - the opinions were mixed. I felt confident in my ability to monitor my water as close as an anemone needs, I felt confident in my ability to maintain the water conditions the anemone needs and I felt confident I could deal with the challenge of keeping an anemone. So we purchase a BTA.

When we put Jenny (the anemone's name) in the tank, she was on a rock close to the ground. That night she was fully extended and we woke up to find that she had moved to the rear of the tank - where she stayed for about two weeks.

Here's a photo of everyone hanging around her: (Note the foam guard on the powerhead!)
IMG_0604.jpg

She then went on a little adventure one morning to this ALARMING spot (note how close this is to the powerhead!!!!) THANK YOU TO THE FOAM GAURD ON THE POWER HEAD!!!!!:
Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 3.27.04 pm.png

She has now settled, smack bang in the centre of the tank:

IMG_0761.jpg

I should mention - she gave the duncans and the grey hammer above her a bit of a sting - but they're on the mend!

But all in all, everything is going well! The Ice Probe is keeping the tank at the perfect temperature. I am suffering from a bit of evaporation, but its about 1L a day and I just top it up with RO in the night and it seems to be completely fine!

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to everyone! :D

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Good stuff Dean, tank looks great......... imagine how itll all look in the new tank!

Merry Xmas to you and yours too :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Thanks for the detailed update. Take a seat, check out the pictures of your tank as it has grown. Then give yourself a well earned pat on the back. You've come a long way in a fairly short time frame and have learnt along the way.

I think your well on your way to an epic Reefing future, congrats and keep it up!

Sam