Reef Discussion

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Damn sorry to hear that mate. The problem with badly infected fins is it becomes systemic in short order, that is so say it spreads throughout the body. It's like an abscessed tooth, if left untreated, it WILL kill you. I've had varying degrees of success with Betadine (iodine based antibacterial) for fins. if caught early it can be fixed. In the treatment, you use a cotton swab on the affected area, then place in a vessel to let the excess come off, then back into quarantine.

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Damn sorry to hear that mate. The problem with badly infected fins is it becomes systemic in short order, that is so say it spreads throughout the body. It's like an abscessed tooth, if left untreated, it WILL kill you. I've had varying degrees of success with Betadine (iodine based antibacterial) for fins. if caught early it can be fixed. In the treatment, you use a cotton swab on the affected area, then place in a vessel to let the excess come off, then back into quarantine.
Yeah cheers mate, i hate losing fish. I feel terrible and take it personally, ruins the rest of my day.
Thanks for the tip on the nipped fins becoming infected, never thought of it like that but when you think of it its no different to damage on any other part of the fish. Will go out and get some betadine for the fish cupboard (not the medicine cupboard) now i know this.
I plan on getting 1 more batch of fish for my DT that will go through QT, 1 Yellow, 1 Kole and 1 Mimic Tang
I'm gonna try and stay strong and have no impulse buy's (the Lennardi was my 1st)
Thanks heaps again, your knowledge is invaluable in this forum :)

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Sorry about your loss. Although very cute at this stage, a 1" lennardi would need to forage all day long to maintain condition and grow. If you had to use chemical treatment it would be more adversely affected compared to say a 3" specimen.

If you try again, its less risky getting a slightly bigger specimen (+/-3"), as theres more wiggle room if things go wrong.

As for the fin rot, IME that's usually a problem if it's a secondary infection, not a primary one. In the latter case, high water quality alone helps clear it; not so simple if it's part of another disease / parasite etc... :(

All the best,
Angie.

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
Sorry about your loss. Although very cute at this stage, a 1" lennardi would need to forage all day long to maintain condition and grow. If you had to use chemical treatment it would be more adversely affected compared to say a 3" specimen.

If you try again, its less risky getting a slightly bigger specimen (+/-3"), as theres more wiggle room if things go wrong.

As for the fin rot, IME that's usually a problem if it's a secondary infection, not a primary one. In the latter case, high water quality alone helps clear it; not so simple if it's part of another disease / parasite etc... :(

All the best,
Angie.
Hi Angie,
I think your right about the size factor, he probably would have been fine in my DT with sand bed and lots of stuff to pick at but not a bare bottom QT :(
This will be a consideration for me in the future for sure when picking fish although i'm nearly done with my stocking list (unless i see a +3 inch lennardi :D)

As for the fin rot, i did a 30% water change on the 27th just prior to to him getting ill.
I have just yesterday done another water change and noticed in the bottom of my IBC container that has about 100L of NSW left there is quite a bit of muck.
Will be giving that a good high pressure clean out over the weekend before i get any more delivered.

So in mixing this up with RODI water to get my 1.010 salinity i may have introduced some bacteria that set this off.
All hindsight but still frustrating that it may have been my own inexperience :banghead
Have had the IBC for about 8 months.

Thanks for the info anyways.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Angie's right about it being a secondary infection. You can look at infections like a war. The fish is a castle and the bacteria the attacking force. The attacking force is ever vigilantly looking for something to exploit to get in.

Now on to the quarantine tank. If you're going to keep wrasses other than Fairy wrasses you MUST HAVE GRAVEL IN THE QT TANK!! I can stress that enough. Other fish it's of no consequence, but with wrasses it's imperative. They sleep under the sand at night. My one Philippines shipper puts a piece of filtre fluff in the bag so they feel secure and that has cut losses dramatically. They're strange creatures that will reward you with years of enjoyment if you take some precautions with them. I love them and I use them for natural pest eradication. It's interesting to watch a Melanurus wrasse tear apart snails. Not good if you keep them for algae control, but they will do away with all manners of snails in short order, good and bad. make sure your top is secure and there are no gaps that they could get through. My whatthehelleveritis fairy wrasse launched onto the floor one morning through a tiny hole. Luckily the dog pointed her out to me and I returned her to the tank quickly.