Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
And The New Tank Is Born
Finally I have the cabinet back and I'm really happy with the final result - the gloss grey looks brilliant.

tank-1.JPG

The tank, stand and lights finally together. Extremely pleased with the height and the landscape look.

tank-2.JPG

Everything fitted in fine - managed to keep everything quite tidy.

tank-3.JPG

I put a fair amount of thought into cable management and having the controls easily accessible and away protected from the moisture inside the cabinet. Having the 8 switch unit was a great start and by putting everything in a drawer it makes it really easy to install or remove any component with out having to undo all the wiring.

tank-4.JPG

And now for the fun part

tank-6.JPG

tank-7.JPG

216 litres - exactly all the salt water I had on hand.
tank-8.JPG

Ended up having to throw in some rock just to help adjust the water level - aquascaping will start tomorrow.

tank-9.JPG

Overflow plumbing - the siphon was still being worked out at this stage but after a lot of trial and error the system runs completely silent.
tank-10.JPG

And a great big thanks to @somethingfishy76 for huge day of help getting the system up and running so well.

So now I'll tinker with ATO system now that the levels have sorted themselves out, fine tune the heater/chiller, program the dosing pump. - fun stuff.
I'll start moving some rock over from the Cade so that I can break it down and get it ready for sale.
More pics to come. :D

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Im gonna steal that cabinet finish if I ever get a new tank :worship

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I have to say I'm with Nils here, this is one of the builds of this year mate! It's looking absolutely glorious mate and it's going to be an amazing`tank :D There's definitely a few things I'm going to steal for my new build too, they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! ;) haha

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I bought extra draw string bags and I deploy them when I do a full cleaning or start a new tank. I just tuck them inside the main bag and cinch up the string a little. Within 4 hours my tanks clear off because I don't wash sand either.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I gather the fluffy end is the base and we're not talking about sand anymore.
I guess next time I'll provide more detail. Funny you mention sand.... I put about 20 kg in my pond yesterday, filling up is next on the list.