Tank Journal Archive

mcs

Jun 14, 2014
And Then There Was Rain!
IMG_6343.JPG

IMG_6346.JPG

So i got the water today, filled it up without any mishaps.

Also hooked up all my equipment to see how it is all working, and so far everything is working 100%.

Only the skimmer left to run later down the track.

So now gotta get some seeding rock or filter media, then the long wait for the cycle to complete.

Cheers Mark.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
View attachment 41571

View attachment 41572

So i got the water today, filled it up without any mishaps.

Also hooked up all my equipment to see how it is all working, and so far everything is working 100%.

Only the skimmer left to run later down the track.

So now gotta get some seeding rock or filter media, then the long wait for the cycle to complete.

Cheers Mark.

You grabbing LR or you gonna do a Zeo 14-Day cycle?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Oceanarium have some good kits to start population of some micro fauna, and 100% Reef Safe have some phyto and stuff you can use.

I saw a good take on how to cycle a tank on BRStv they fed the tank daily with as much as they planned to feed to get the bacteria started and used to breaking down how much they planned on feeding

mcs

Jun 14, 2014
Oceanarium have some good kits to start population of some micro fauna, and 100% Reef Safe have some phyto and stuff you can use.

I saw a good take on how to cycle a tank on BRStv they fed the tank daily with as much as they planned to feed to get the bacteria started and used to breaking down how much they planned on feeding
Hahaha who wants to donate some LR :P.

You can cycle with anything really, i have heard you can cycle by just throwing a prawn into the tank.

Cheers Mark~

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Yep a raw prawn does wonders for kick starting a cycle :p It's massive in the US and pretty much how they all run their cycles!! It's definitely a great way to start a cycle if you're not starting with LR :)

E

ezza

I think I put a prawn in. Hard to remember! Pee in it too!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
ive heard plenty of people Pee'ing in their tanks lmao it made me cry of laughter when i heard thi.

i had a thread in my early days on how to cycle a tank and a guy pm'd me telling me all the different ways and finished by saying the way h did it was by pee'ing in it lol "good ol' fashioned ammonia" was how it was referred to

mcs

Jun 14, 2014
I think i might give the prawn a go, less crap i can introduce with live rock and cheaper than other alternatives :P

E

ezza

well, i was about to cry myself considering how much i need to pee and how little money we currently have!! ;)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
It's tonnes of fun :p threads tend to derail pretty rapidly and probably a little too frequently haha

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Throwing a bit of fish food in the tank is a good way to get the cycle started too. Or you can just dose ammonia straight in to your tank to the desired ppm.